Subject: bmwg changes to secperf 05

From: David Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:33:03 -0500

BMWGers,

Here's a quick summary of the changes made to draft 05 of the firewalls
performance terminology draft:

--all pieces of a connection (establishment, maintenance, teardown) are
now defined under connection. Previously these were defined as
subcomponents of a "session." It made no sense to distinguish between
connection and session in this context.

--in the definition of connection, removed language stating that hosts
"agree to" exchange data. This clears up any ambiguity around
connectionless protocols like UDP where any "agreement" on the receiving
host's part is totally passive.

--changed metric from "connection establishment rate" to "connection
establishment time" since we're interested in studying how long the
process takes, not the rate at which it happens.

--added metric for connection teardown time, akin to connection
establishment time

--deleted definition for perimeter network, which is identical to (and
referenced in) the definition for DMZ network

--cleaned up a few minor wording problems throughout

Glad to see Kevin has sent this to last call, though of course as ever I
welcome comments.

Regards,
David Newman