Subject: bmwg Summary of comments regarding IP Multicast draft

From: "Debby Stopp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:10:59 -0800

BMWGers -

Here's a quick summary of the changes to the IP multicast draft document
(draft-iedf-bmwg-mcastm-00.txt) that were suggested at the March meeting:

- Change all references of RFC 1944 to RFC 2544
- Change all references to DUT to DUT/SUT.
- Include some discussion regarding suggested IP multicast addresses to use
during testing in order to assure that escaping multicast packets will not
currupt a live network.
- Beef up the discussion in the Mixed Class Throughput (4.1) test regarding
port configuration/port setup of unicast and multicast ports.
- Add the ratio of multicast to unicast packets to the results for MCT as a
SHOULD (4.1).
- Include a brief comment stating that receive ports MAY leave the group
between test iterations on those tests that require iterations.
- Specify a suggested granularity of 10% increase for groups to join, ports
to join or increase to forwarding rate.
- Add some additional discussion regarding tunneling & its use w/multicast
- For the multicast latency (5.1) test, specify latency per group per port,
MAY report an aggregate latency per port.
- For Group Join Delay (6.1) & Group Leave Delay ( 6.2), specify that
traffic should be sent at the throughput rate determined by the forwarding
tests of section 4. Additionally, an error or granularity of the timestamp
should be reported along w/the determined results.
- For Multicast group Capacity ( 8.1), MAY report frame rate; all ports
SHOULD joint the same groups, the number of groups as determined by the
forwarding tests of section 4.
- In the appendix, modify example IP addresses/multicast addresses as per
RFC 2544; also use more generic multicast addresses. In addition, change fps
rates to something more generic (ie, not associated w/10/100 ports) and/or
give ref. to framesize in appendix.
- For Multicast group Capacity ( 8.1), group leave messages MAY be sent
after every iteration

Debby Stopp
IXIA Communications
4505 Las Virgenes Road
Suite 209
Calabasas, CA 91302

Tel: 818 871 1800
Fax: 818 871 1805
http://www.ixiacom.com