Subject: Re: Duration

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 20:21:20 -0400

Fowarded from David Newman ([email-masked]):

There was a duration thread on this list some time back, I think in
spring '98.

If memory serves the consensus was that test runs of 30 seconds were
considered
OK. One post in particular I remember was from Scott Bradner, coauthor
of RFC
2544, saying he used 30 seconds in all testing. I just checked RFC 2285
and I
don't see anything there, but Bob Mandeville's comment at the time was
that he
too uses 30 seconds (before midnight).

Seriously, even 30 seconds might be way too long on high-speed networks.
At
gigabit speeds a device would need nearly 1 Gbyte of buffering *per
port* to
hold 10 seconds' worth of traffic. And that's a best-case calculation,
assuming
64-byte frames and half-duplex traffic. The amount of memory needed
would be
higher with longer frames and full-duplex settings.

Anyone for a 1-second duration?

;-)

dn