Subject: Re: Duration

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:45:22 -0400 (EDT)

1 second is far too short - any measurements would be of buffering
rather than forwarding performance 

my tests showed some but not a lot of difference between 10 & 30 sec

bt, if memory serves, the idea is to figure out what a DUT would do 
"forever" so its important to be very sure you are past any buffering
effects into the area of actual forwarding performance - I sugget that 30
sec is about the best way to compromise to get that value.

Scott

---

From: "Robert Mandeville" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:26:53 +0200

I am going to preach what I practise: 30 seconds for final results and 10
seconds for trials while debugging configurations and the like.
An exception: gathering raw timestamps on a packet by packet basis on very
high speed links can cause the test instruments buffers to overflow. But
there are workarounds.
Bob
[email-masked]