Subject: Re: FW: Feedback on L3 QoS Benchmarking Workplan

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 15:32:16 -0500 (EST)

conrad sez:
> What you're doing is offering a known load
> to a device and measuring what comes out.

note that the load & measurement is in terms of packets sent & received
not in terms of rate

Scott

---

From: "Conrad C. Nobili" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 17:35:34 -0500 (EST)

> note that the load & measurement is in terms of packets sent & received

Yes.  I should have clarified that too, but I was concentrating on the
big picture.  Like I said I wasn't being too careful with the details
of the terminology and techniques as they can easily be looked up.

I do think this is another area where people tend to get sloppy though,
so I'm very glad you did bring it up.  I guess I've been surprised on
a number of occasions by people not getting this particular fundamental
and a few others.

Anyway, excellent point.  Sometimes these obvious fundamentals bear
repetition.  This is one of them.

--cn

Conrad C. Nobili  [email-masked]  Harvard University NDTL/NOC