Subject: RE: Throughput Questions

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 17:52:53 -0700

>>>>  I would think the timer should be on the receive port, should it not?
>>> the sender should send N (a specific count) of packets starting at time T0
>>> N packets equates to duration D
>> am i missing something or would would one not also want to specify the
>> inter-packet delay distribution?
>> You might want to specify it.  But at the time we first defined throughput
> testing the goal / hope / assumption was that a given packet rate = constant
> spacing of packets.  Some test equipment deviates from this, but there is an
> assumed steady state in the offered load.

my main point was that you need to state the inter-packet distribution.  if
it is a constant, cool, i even suggested that.  but you need to state the
VALUE of that constant, n'est ce pas?

---

From: "David Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 22:59:05 -0400

> VALUE of that constant, n'est ce pas?

the widely used, commercially available tools for throughput measurement DO
state not only interpacket gap but also interburst gap

dn