Subject: Workplan Proposal: Benchmarking Terminology and Methodology for Routers Supporting Resource Reservation

From: Feher Gabor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:52:04 +0200

Hi!

On the latest IETF meeting in Pittsburgh we presented our draft: 
Benchmarking Terminology and Methodology for Routers Supporting Resource 
Reservation 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-feher-benchresres-00.txt) and 
there was some initial support to our draft.

This draft is intended to compose benchmarking terminology and methodology 
for routers running protocols, like RSVP, Yessir and other resource 
reservation protocols that depends on signaling in an aspect of resource 
reservation performance. Therefore, we define response and scalability 
metrics like:

* Signaling Message Handling Time
* Premium Traffic Extra Delay
* Best-effort Traffic Extra Delay
* Signaling Message Loss

Do you think that these terminology and methodology are adequate in 
benchmarking the resource reservation capability of an IP router? Apart 
from that do you think that we can capture with these metrics the impact of 
signaling on the overall performance of the router? Please provide comments 
on our work.

Looking for your comments,
Gabor Feher