Subject: [bmwg] Minutes of the BMWG at the 50th IETF

From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:56:15 -0400

I've gotten a few questions as to the BMWG minutes (read: where are
they ;-)).  I'll post these here in advance of the IETF secretariat's
eventual posting in the proceedings.

Enjoy,
Kevin

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Minutes of the BMWG at the 50th IETF
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 18:21:14 -0400
From: Kevin Dubray <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>,Bert Wijnen <[email-masked]>

Current Meeting Report

Benchmarking Methodology WG Minutes

WG Chair: Kevin Dubray

Minutes reported by Kevin Dubray.

The BMWG met at the 50th IETF in Minneapolis, MN, on Monday, March 19, 
2001.

The proposed agenda:

    1. Administration
    2. <draft-berkowitz-bgpcon-00.txt>
    3. <draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-00.txt>

was approved.

1. Administration.
------------------

Activity over the last period was summarized as:

The I-Ds: <draft-ietf-bmwg-atm-term-abr-02.txt>,                  
<draft-ietf-bmwg-fr-term-05.txt>

now reflect IESG inputs and should be on their way to RFC editor. 
[Chair's note: Currently, there is some confusion over edit versions 
of these drafts. This should be resolved soon.]

The I-D <draft-ietf-bmwg-atm-method-03.txt> passed a WG last call 
and should be in the ADs' hands for Info RFC consideration.

The I-Ds: <draft-ietf-bmwg-mcastm-07.txt>,
          <draft-ietf-bmwg-fib-term-01.txt>

were revised but missed the I-D cutoff. They will be resubmitted
after the IETF meeting. 

2. <draft-berkowitz-bgpcon-00.txt>
----------------------------------

Sue Hares and Howard Berkowitz were present to give insight on their
draft about measuring BGP convergence.  It was stated that a second
draft was produced, but it was unable to be submitted before the
Internet Draft cut off time.  The presentation and discussion, however,
surrounded that second draft.  Slides for the presentation can be found
at: 

   http://www.nexthop.com/standards/presentations/bmwg.ppt

The presenters reinforced the notion that the scope of this work was
very constrained.  Moreover, they further explained that there were many
topics of convergence that would be left to future work.  Examples of
some of these future convergence topics include BGP and IGP interaction,
flapping, and policy.  While there were some concerns of worm can
opening, there appeared to be attendee interest in this work.  The
presenters were requested to submit the revised draft to the
Internet-Draft secretariat, after which a proposal to undertake this new
initiative would be made to the working group at large.  

2. <draft-ietf-bmwg-dsmterm-00.txt>
-----------------------------------

The authors of this first draft on terminology for benchmarking network
layer traffic control mechanisms were on hand to summarize the status of
the draft and to field questions.  Essentially, it was stated that this
first draft was a work in progress and, as such, it was not near
completion. The bulk of the comments offered counsel to align this new
work with previous BMWG work, wherever possible.  

It was noted that some drafts had expired, specifically the Router
benchmarking framework document.  The chair ask the group to consider
the continuation of this dormant work items.  

Lastly, the chair invited the group to consider and offer comments 
on the individually submitted draft regarding the standardization 
of metrics in the IETF.  The draft ID is: 

       draft-bradner-metricstest-00.txt.  

The goals for next period are: 

*  Work to bring the firewall, multicast, and FIB I-Ds to a Working   
Group Last Call.  

*  Progress the traffic control mechanisms draft and Resource
Reservation drafts.  

*  Assess the proposed new work item on BGP convergence 
benchmarking.

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg