Subject: [bmwg] Definition of kilowbit

From: "John Tinsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:23:54 -0700

BMWGers,

I am having a diffierence of opinion with a colleague.  When calculating
kilobits per second, should be define kilobit as 1000 bits or 1024 bits?

Comments please!!

---

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:38:37 -0700

fwif, most networks specify their performance in terms of bits per
second in powers of ten, so i and netperf use that when reporting
throughput in bits per second - and it is made explicit by saying N.NN
10^6 bits per second.

when talking about bytes per second, netperf uses powers of two.

rick jones
-- 
ftp://ftp.cup.hp.com/dist/networking/misc/rachel/
these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
feel free to email, OR post, but please do NOT do BOTH...
my email address is raj in the cup.hp.com domain...

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg