Subject: [Bnbsg] BnB IoT Messaging

From: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 09:27:39 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Alex and Pascal generously responded to my request for a “call for demos” writeup for the upcoming IoT-themed BnB event in Toronto. Their draft is attached and embedded below, please review and comment. 

After any tweaking, I think that we should send this information out to the appropriate WG mailing lists and to the mail IETF list as well. Potential participants will be asked to send their questions about participating to  [email-masked].  The info will also go on the website (as News and under IETF 90 area) and hopefully it will assist Drew in his participant recruitment efforts. 

We are under a tight timeframe, so I’d like to send out the call for participants before the end of the week (ideally Thursday). 

Thanks,
Alexa

——

		  Bits-N-Bites - Internet of Things
		  ---------------------------------

			    Call for Demos

The arrival of Things connected to the Internet in the recent years
brought to life new applications.  In the consumer segment, numerous
small and smart devices add new dimensions to existing domains such
automatic home management, in-vehicle entertainment, eHealth, fitness
and more.  A growing enthusiasm in novel market suggests
imminent and impressive deployments: billions new connected devices
expected by year 2020.

In professional segments, examples abound of the use of connected Things for 
future manufacturing and Machine-to-Machine communications. As of today,
factory networks primarily rely on wired communication networks to support 
Industrial Automation and Control Systems.  On the other hand, Wireless 
Sensor Networks have the power to extend the reach of Monitoring and Control 
to gather unused measurements beyond what is physically and economically 
possible with wires; the collection of these measurements by widely distributed 
sensing devices and their processing by Big Data analytics yield the next
degree of process optimization, a vision known as the Industrial Internet. This   
will require the combination of the best of IT and OT technologies together, 
forming the IT/OT convergence.

Despite the word 'connected' being commonly employed in this context,
the current Thing topologies do not use IP as known in the non-Things
world.  Instead, intermediary albeit small Boxes translating between
IP and Thing-specific protocols are in common use (for
e.g. application-layer conversions, IP to non-IP address translation,
IP header compression, 'mesh-under' non-IP routing and more).  This
leads to typical 'multi-stage' topology such as: a temperature sensor
connected to a smartwatch using a hardware communication protocol,
further connected to a smartphone using a short-range non-IP protocol
and finally connected to a WiFi router using a full IP link.

On another hand, past experience in the development of the Internet
suggests that if intermediary Boxes are less present in the path -
dumb networks (thus reducing the 'multi-stage' Thing topology to a
minimum of 2 stages and down to 1, ideally), the full potential of
end-to-end principles may be uncovered: each Thing may be directly
queried, their number may grow in a more scalable way and richer
applications may offer features beyond what's talked about these days.

When deploying multi-stage Thing topologies, two trends compete: IP
protocols are enhanced and transformed into less end-to-end protocols
(address translation, header compression, 'mesh under' routing and
more) and, alternatively, existing IP protocols are reduced to their
bare minimum such as to fit in reduced Things (reduced CPU frequency
and number of transistors, dimensions and energy consumption).

Demonstrations of these IoT concepts are called for.  The
demonstrations should exhibit recent developments of IP protocols for
IoT networks (6lowpan adaptation layers, MANET and RPL routing
protocols, 6tsch time-constrained communications, CoAP app-layer
protocols) as well as demonstrations of the tendency of bringing the
known IPv6 as close as possible to the Thing - minimum set of
unmodified IPv6, Neighbor Discovery, DHCP, HTTP, IKEv2.

Examples of demos include and are certainly not limited to:
- home automation controller using SNMP for HVAC and ambient
  temperature, electricity counter.
- industrial-grade Wireless Sensor Network products
- scalable wireless designs and existing deployments
- IPv6 end-to-end and backbone interconnection
- tablet summarizing status of widespread devices through
  heterogeneous link connections.
- smart belt collecting body information with low-energy communication
  protocols.
- vehicle interior connected designs, vehicle-to-road sensor-based
  communications.
- sensor-assisted autonomous mobile Things (mono-, bi-, quad- wheeled
  or propelled devices).

Demonstrations may be realized in different manners:
- the Things deployed on a table, relying on local connections and
  alternatively exhibiting remote access across the  Internet.
- poster describing demo.
- video sequence showing a lab demonstration.

Each demonstration must position with respect to questions such as
- use of IP protocols: IPv4 or IPv6?  
- intermediary Box or not?
- on the market now, in the prototype stage, in an idea phase?
- part of a collaborative project?  gov't-funded or private?

----------
Alexa Morris / Executive Director / IETF
48377 Fremont Blvd., Suite 117, Fremont, CA  94538
Phone: +1.510.492.4089 / Fax: +1.510.492.4001
Email: [email-masked]

Managed by Association Management Solutions (AMS)
Forum Management, Meeting and Event Planning
www.amsl.com <http://www.amsl.com/>

---

From: Drew Dvorshak <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 16:50:42 +0000

Hi all,
Are we sure we want to send this out now instead in prep. For Hawaii?  I
say this because we already have multiple commitments signed that may or
may not follow the IoT theme.  We could not wait until we had that fleshed
out to begin filling tables.

On 5/13/14, 12:27 PM, "Alexa Morris" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>Alex and Pascal generously responded to my request for a ³call for demos²
>writeup for the upcoming IoT-themed BnB event in Toronto. Their draft is
>attached and embedded below, please review and comment.
>
>After any tweaking, I think that we should send this information out to
>the appropriate WG mailing lists and to the mail IETF list as well.
>Potential participants will be asked to send their questions about
>participating to  [email-masked].  The info will also go on the website
>(as News and under IETF 90 area) and hopefully it will assist Drew in his
>participant recruitment efforts.
>
>We are under a tight timeframe, so I¹d like to send out the call for
>participants before the end of the week (ideally Thursday).
>
>Thanks,
>Alexa
>
>
>‹‹
>

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:54:42 -0400

> out to begin filling tables.

We had said we were going to experiment with Themes to see if it made a 
difference in identifying, attracting and closing on possible sponsors, as 
well as adding to the event’s success.

This is an appropriate outreach and was done with guidance from those in the
know about the topic.

Let’s try it. 

Ray

> _______________________________________________
> Bnbsg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bnbsg

---

From: Drew Dvorshak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 14:14:36 +0000

Ack

On 5/13/14, 2:54 PM, "Ray Pelletier" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> In professional segments, examples abound of the use of connected
>>>Things
>>> for

---

From: "Brzozowski, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 14:38:50 +0000

Did we get all the desired feedback on Pascal’s text?

=========================================
John Jason Brzozowski
Comcast Cable
m) 609-377-6594
o) 484-962-0060
w) www.comcast6.net
e) [email-masked]
=========================================

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Drew Dvorshak' <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 10:14
To: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alexa Morris <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Bnbsg] BnB IoT Messaging

---

From: "Brzozowski, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 14:41:03 +0000

I did a quick read of the text, it seems fine to me.  However, for Toronto
I doubt the bulk of technology demonstrated will be IoT in nature.
Definitely a good idea to prime the pump for Hawaii.

-----Original Message-----
From: <Brzozowski>, John Brzozowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 10:38
To: 'Drew Dvorshak' <[email-masked]>, Ray Pelletier
<[email-masked]>