Subject: [Bridge-mib] 52nd IETF - BridgeMIB WG minutes - preliminary

From: "Les Bell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:48:03 +0000

Here are the draft minutes of the BridgeMIB WG meeting in Salt Lake City
last week.  Please Let me know by Monday 24 Dec if there are any issues
with the minutes.

52nd IETF
Salt Lake City, UT
December 2001
BridgeMIB WG minutes

KC Norseth volunteered to take the minutes,
Les Bell took minutes while KC was presenting.

A call was made for Implementation Reports from all vendors.
Email the reports to the mailing list, the chair (Les Bell),
or the Area Director (Bert Wijnen).

SMIv2 Bridge MIB

This has missed the original September 2001 milestone.

Some objects have changed from
    read-only   (dot1dTpFdbAddress,  dot1dBasePort) or
    read-create (dot1dStaticAddress, dot1dstaticReceivePort)
to not-accessible, as they are index objects.  This is likely to break
current implementations and applications, therefore, they will be
restored to their original access permissions.  This is permitted
according to RFC 2578, section 7.7.

dot1dStaticAllowedToGoTo needs to be bounded.  The required size is
512 octets, to support up to 4096 ports.  This exceeds minimum
required SNMP packet size, therefore, this needs to be noted in the
DESCRIPTION of this object.  See RFC 2578 section 7.1 for details on
size limitations.

The use of dot1dStpEnable is reportedly inconsistently implemented.
Therefore this requires clarification.  Some vendors use this to
disable STP on a port.  The consensus was to wait until after
InterWorking Labs Test Summit in January 2002, to see if more feedback
results from this.

SMIv2 Source Routing MIB

No issues were raised.  It is acceptable to recycle this as a
Proposed Standard in this case, although it was suggested that
Informational or Historic may be appropriate document states.
It was decided that it would be best for the Area Director to decide
on the appropriate document status.

RSTP-MIB, U-BRIDGE-MIB, V-BRIDGE-MIB

The consensus at the meeting was that U-BRIDGE-MIB and V-BRIDGE-MIB
should be added to an update of RFC 2674.  The U-BRIDGE-MIB objects
should be incorporated into the existing Q-BRIDGE-MIB.  V-BRIDGE-MIB
should be a separate MIB module inthis document.  No objections to
this proposal have been received on the mailing list since it was
proposed after the London IETF in August.  Vivian Ngai volunteered to
become the editor for this revision of RFC 2674.  This will mean that
the revised document will have to be re-cycled at Proposed status.

A number of items have been highlighted as being deliberately omitted
from RFC 2674, it was the consensus of the room to leave these out of
the revised MIBs.  This includes the GMRP and GVRP Notifications that
were added after the London IETF, so these will be removed again.

The required SYNTAX changes to dot1dPortPathCost mean that this object
should be deprecated and a new object created to replace it.

The suggestion raised on the mailing list, to include counters for
Config, TCN and RSTP BPDUs received on each port, Port Role and
Legacy Neighbour information was agreed by those in the room.
These should be added to the next revision of the document.

IEEE 802.1X MIB

The IEEE 802.1 WG approved publication of this MIB as an Informational
RFC.  Permission has been requested from the IEEE to do this.  This is
just waiting for the copyright release from IEEE.

KC Norseth has prepared an Internet-Draft for publication of this MIB.
This will be submitted to IETF when permission is granted by IEEE.

Dan Romascanu volunteered to bring up any issues that people have with
the 802.1X MIB at the next IEEE 802.1 meeting in Raleigh, NC, January
14-18 - meeting details can be found at
    http://www.ieee802.org/3/interims/index.html
You can raise these issues on the [email-masked] mailing list.

IEEE 802.1s MIB

The consensus in the room was that this is not yet stable enough for
a MIB to be developed.  This should not be added to the WG Charter at
this time.

Goals & Milestones

RFC 1525 Source Routing MIB update
         - to be submitted to IESG by February 2002.
RFC 1493 Bridge MIB update
         - to be submitted to IESG after the March 2002 meeting.
RFC 2674 Bridge MIB Extensions update
         - to be submitted to IESG after the July 2002 meeting.

Any Other Business

InterWorking Labs are holding a Bridge MIB and Ethernet Interfaces MIB
Test Summit January 28-30, 2002.  They are looking for input on test
scenarios and participants for this event.  Feedback from this event
may be useful for the Implementation Reports required for advancing
these standards.

Slides are available for the presentations from
  K.C. Norseth (Bridge MIB, 802.1X MIB) &
  Vivian Ngai (RSTP-MIB, U-BRIDGE-MIB, V-BRIDGE-MIB)
at http://www.norseth.org/ietf/bridgemib

Les Bell

_______________________________________________
Bridge-mib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge-mib