Subject: [Bridge-mib] Protocol Action: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:13:22 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Bridges '
   <draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-smiv2-10.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Bridge MIB Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and David Kessens.

Technical Summary

   This memo defines a portion of the Management Information Base (MIB)
   for use with network management protocols in TCP/IP based internets.
   In particular it defines objects for managing MAC bridges based on
   the IEEE 802.1D-1998 standard between Local Area Network (LAN)
   segments.  Provisions are made for support of transparent bridging.
   Provisions are also made so that these objects apply to bridges
   connected by subnetworks other than LAN segments.

   The MIB module presented in this memo is a translation of the
   BRIDGE-MIB defined in RFC 1493 to the SMIv2 syntax, updated 
   slightly to accommodate higher speed links.

   This document obsoletes RFC 1493

Working Group Summary

   The Bridge MIB Working Group discussed this document and approved
   its content in a Working Group Last Call process. All issues raiseds
   during the WG Last Call have been resolved, maintained in the RT
   system, and a summary of the resolutions was published to the mailing
   list for comment. The WG recommends that this document be forwarded
   to the IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.

   It is the intention of the WG that subsequent mib module work for
   IEEE 802.1 technologies will be done by the IEEE 802.1 WG. There are
   some concerns about the quality of work likely to result from SNMP
   non-experts, but the IETF is providing MIB Doctor review of their 
   MIB module work during the transition.

Protocol Quality

   The document was reviewed in detail by John Flick, and discussed by
   several other MIB experts.  A number of IEEE 802.1 WG members, 
   including the vice chair, were involved in discussions. 
   The discussions and clarifications resulted in editorial changes in
   the document. 
   The MIB module proposed by this document is the SMIv2 version of
   RFC 1493, which is implemented by many vendors in the industry.
   Backwards compatibility has been maintained, and most of the protocol
   data is identical between versions. It is expected that at least some
   of these vendors will implement the new version incarnated by this
   document, and other may choose to implement it in the future, because
   of the growing acceptance of the IEEE 802.1 protocol in the industry.
   It is our belief that the document is at the appropriate quality
   for consideration as proposed standard. 

RFC Editor Note
 
   Please include Juergen Schoenwaelder ([email-masked])
   in the AUTH48 review. Juergen did a lot of final editing of this
   document.

   The email address for Les Bell has changed to: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Bridge-mib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge-mib