Subject: [Bridge-mib] Removing dot1dStpBridgeHelloTime

From: "Mukesh M V" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:55:59 +0530

Hello David and all RSTP-MIB members,

The new 802.1D 2004 does not allow configuration of Hello Time. It is
maintained at a constant value of 2 seconds.

So shouldn't the dot1dStpBridgeHelloTime object be obsoleted from the
RSTP-MIB?

Also the default value for TxHoldCount is changed to 6.

Thanks,
Mukesh

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL)
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for
what it is intended.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message.
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Bridge-mib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge-mib

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:25:24 -0400

Hi Mukesh,
 
Thank you for commenting on the RSTP-MIB.
 
As Working group chair:

The WG charter allows the WG to develop/update MIB modules for support
of 802.1t, 802.1u, 802.1v, and 802.1w. For the RSTP-MIB, see the
Abstract in draft-ietf-bridge-rstpmib-07.txt, which says "This memo
defines an SMIv2 MIB module for managing the Rapid Spanning Tree
capability defined by the IEEE P802.1t and P802.1w amendments to IEEE
Std 802.1D-1998 for bridging between Local Area Network (LAN)
segments."

The changes you mention appear to have occurred after those
amendments. We do not claim that the RSTP-MIB supports all amendments
to 802.1D-2004. 

This is a purely pragmatic approach to get the documents finalized and
approved as an IETF standard. To improve synchsonization in the
future, the IEEE 802.1WG has assumed responsibility for developing and
updating MIB modules as part of 802.1 standard enhancements, and they
will define MIB modules to deal with the amendments that led to the
features of 802.1D-2004 that you cite.
 
David Harrington
[email-masked]
co-chair, IETF Bridge WG

________________________________

	From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mukesh M V
	Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:26 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] [Bridge-mib] Removing
dot1dStpBridgeHelloTime

	The new 802.1D 2004 does not allow configuration of Hello
Time. It is maintained at a constant value of 2 seconds.
	 
	So shouldn't the dot1dStpBridgeHelloTime object be obsoleted
from the RSTP-MIB? 

	Thanks,
	Mukesh

**********************************************************************
*****
	This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL)
	and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
it
	is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential
information
	and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for
	what it is intended.

**********************************************************************
*****