Subject: Re: [Bundled-domain-names] DNS resolution for bundled names

From: "Jiankang Yao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 16:58:13 +0800

From: John Levine
Date: 2016-04-25 11:58
To: bundled-domain-names
CC: yaojk
Subject: Re: [Bundled-domain-names] DNS resolution for bundled names

>The .CAT domain bundles 2LD names, in their case an accented version
>and ASCII version of the name.  They use a DNAME for the accented
>version that points at the unaccented version, which works really
>badly.  Partly that's because the DNAME doesn't redirect itself,
>partly I've found from spot checking that even the 3LD names that the
>DNAME does redirect rarely work in practice, with almost none of web
>servers I checked handling them.
>
>So one part of the work could be looking at BNAME or something like it
>that could make parallel 2LD names work better, both within the same
>TLD and within arbitrary places in the tree.
>

+1

>A separate issue is how one might arrange to have servers for web,
>mail, and so forth automatically configure themselves to do something
>reasonable when a BNAME or DNAME points at them.  Roughly speaking, when
>they get a request for a domain they don't think they handle, they could
>do a DNS lookup on the name and if there's a BNAME or DNAME redirect,
>treat it as equivalent as the redirect target.  I realize that in some
>contexts this has all sorts of security issues but I think it'd be
>possible to carve out a useful subset that's not too dangerous and
>still useful.
>

+1

Jiankang Yao