Subject: RE: [Call-home] draft now posted; BoF?

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:54:09 +0200

Eliot, in your draft I see (sect 1):

   All of this leads us to the conclusion that a flexible means for
   management applications to traverse firewalls is a useful approach in
   the face of devices that intercept unacknowledged SYNS or keep
   translation tables based on connection state.

Mmmm... "is a useful approach..."
Sure... but is it something that is really needed?
That is what I want to hear support for.

Further I see (sect 3):

   Call Home is useful for devices that do not retain a stable
   accessible point within a network.  For instance, a lap top or a
   wireless phone may move from one location to another, and yet it
   still is be desirable for that device to be managed when it is
   online.  Imagine what would be necessary in order to manage such a
   device by having the manager contact it:

I find your examples weak. I am not aware of wide-use of SNMP to
manage/monitor laptops or wireless phones. If others are, then
please let me/us know about that.
So I'd prefer you would use examples where we know that SNMP is
being used (or would be used if CH was/is available).

Bert

_______________________________________________
Call-home mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/call-home

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 06:27:10 -0700

>>>>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:54:09 +0200, "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]> said:

Bert> I find your examples weak. I am not aware of wide-use of SNMP to
Bert> manage/monitor laptops or wireless phones. If others are, then
Bert> please let me/us know about that.

Bert I suspect one of the reasons you don't find that is that it is
indeed difficult.  I've worked in many environments where desktop
machines were managed at least in part using SNMP.  When you don't
know the final transport address to manage a laptop, of course you
couldn't do it today.  That's his point.

-- 
"In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap,
 and much more difficult to find."  -- Terry Pratchett