Subject: [Call-home] new draft -03 coming out...

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 06:42:30 +0200

Hi There,

There will be a new draft-lear-callhome-description-03 in the next day 
or so.  The key changes are these:

  - I've added a section discussing naming.  The devices that use
    CH often have a problem with stable names from a DNS perspective.
    Not always, but often.  So people who use or implement CH need to
    think about this.  This could cause us to wade into old NSRG
    territory, but there was a recent paper (Braden et. al.?) that
    discusses application naming that may be more relevant.
    Anyone got a cite for that?

  - I've added an additional example that demonstrates how one could
    use CH to gain interactive access to an agent behind a firewall.
    Now, this could be a good thing or a bad thing.  It's a good thing
    for authorized access and a bad thing for unauthorized access ;-)
    This example exposes potentially overly strong language in
    draft-ietf-secsh-connect in which they say that clients SHOULD
    reject "session" service.  Yes, they should if they're not prepared
    to deal with the auth/authz issues.  But if they are, then it
    should be okay.  This latter case exposes the naming issue.

Comments?

Eliot

_______________________________________________
Call-home mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/call-home