Subject: Re: Use of "optinfo" MIME parameter

From: "Frank Dawson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:34:11 -0500

Paul:

The OPTINFO section in the iCalendar draft also indicates that this info
contains stuff that is already within the iCalendar object, and what's more,
the OPTINFO parameter values are not necessary for proper iCalendar (and
hence iTIP-level) interoperability. Hence, this parameter could contain
anything; for example some parameter values that some CUAs might find useful
for their UI presentation of what the iCalendar object contains. This type
of thing is not germaine to iTIP interoperability, but may be useful for
richer experience of a user with a CUA implementation. Should the CUAs not
find this info, they would process the iCalendar object just fine, but their
UI may not be as colorful as it could have been if the OPTINFO stuff was
there (for example).

- - Frank

- - Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, October 26, 1998 12:04 AM
Subject: Use of "optinfo" MIME parameter

>Sorry to hop in here so late, but I have a question that will affect
>interoperability. In section 3.2 of the iCalendar draft, there is an
>"optinfo" MIME parameter defined. Since there are no MIME examples in the
>draft, I cannot figure out how this is used in an interoperable fashion.
>Can someone show an example of a MIME message that uses this parameter and
>explain how receiving agents will know what to do with it?
>
>--Paul Hoffman, Director
>--Internet Mail Consortium
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:13:48 -0800

At 04:34 PM 10/26/98 -0500, Frank Dawson wrote:
>Hence, this parameter could contain
>for their UI presentation of what the iCalendar object contains.

OK, so are we assuming that optinfo is only for one vendor's products, not
for inter-vendor interoperability? That's fine if we are, but it should be
stated somewhere, since the rest of the spec is about inter-vendor
interoperability.

> This type

This makes good sense, but it is not discussed anywhere in the iCalendar
draft (or in iTIP, for that matter).

--Paul Hoffman, Director