Subject: The IESG and iCalendar use of HTTP

From: "Doug Royer [N6AAW]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 1998 22:22:43 -0700 (PDT)

After reading what is below - PLEASE don't say that I am not in favor of
HTTP+iCalendar, I do not think its an issue one way or the other. I am
just exploring the options and attempting to address the issues
of iCalendar over HTTP.

I have exchanged some email with the HTTP-WG chair:

	"Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
	
His response leads me to think that the IESG and HTTP-WG
will object to iCalendar data over HTTP.

If you have not already read what Larry pointed me at...

	draft-iesg-using-http-00.txt
	 
...you should. It is the IESG's opinion of overloading HTTP.	

The other more upsetting issue is the strong view by the HTTP-WG chair
that "draft-cohen-gena-p-base-01.txt" (notification in HTTP), is
an example of what HTTP should NOT do. I am not sure if he
objects to the idea - or to the document as written.

Flames to the bit bucket please :-)    I am only the messenger.

In the short term we can still make CAP progress. There are issues
to be solved that are independent of the transport used.

So - those proposing and those who are strongly in favor of iCalendar
over HTTP. You might start organizing and evangelizing your opinions to
the HTTP-WG.

I think it might be useful for the proponents of iCalendar over HTTP to
write a document addressing the issues in draft-iesg-using-http-00.txt .
Submit it to the CALSCH-WG, then when that (fun :-) debate settles,
take the document to the HTTP-WG and start negotiating. I think it
might also need to address the issues of iCalendar notification.
Any volunteers?

-Doug
-------------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]		http://www.royer.com/dougr.html
801 W. El Camino #131		Work:   (650)786-7599
Mountain View, CA 94040		Ham Radio: N6AAW, Aviation: PP-ASEL

---

From: Surendra Reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:12:25 -0700 (PDT)

> might also need to address the issues of iCalendar notification.

I prepared this document sometime back; but not yet submitted as
I-D. If it is OK to Calsch working group, I can submit this
document as I-D.

--Surendra

---

From: Anik Ganguly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 10:37:31 -0400

Let's discuss the document on the list first.

-- Anik