Subject: TITLE (Re: Comments: Draft-many-ical-ski)

From: Pär Lannerö <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:15:47 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Doug Royer wrote:
> I have read the draft and I just don't see any need for most
> of what is in the draft. Here are my comments;

The SKiCal team has read and carefully considered your comments,
which are greatly appreciated. We agree about the weaknesses of the
draft document itself, but we are still convinced that there is a
need for all or most of the additions suggested in our draft. That
is, if iCalendar is to move out of the office and be used for publishing
culture events, sports games, movie shows etc.

As a non-native speaker of english though, I (who did most of the 
actual writing) could perhaps use some writing help. Right now we are 
working on version 01 of the draft. Any volunteer co-editor?

Just a few answers to your comments for now.

> (3.1) X-SKI-TITLE:
>  Why is this different than SUMMARY?
SUMMARY should be a describing text. Many events have a title which
is not very descriptive by itself. TITLE provides a place to put this
information. Just to pick an example: Right now there is a photo
exhibition called "Excuse Me While I Kiss the Sky" in New York City.
In a SKi file this could be described as follows:

SUMMARY:Collier Schorr photos on exhibit in NYC
TITLE:Excuse Me While I Kiss the Sky

We believe that the need for TITLE is strong, and perhaps there should be 
a parameter to indicate whether the title is copyrighted or not.

> (2.1) DIPROLE:
>  Why not add to PARTSTAT? Why a new parameter?

Understandable comment considering the formulation in draft 00.
The new SKiCal draft (01) though, due to needs expressed by tourist
organizations, has redefined the value of DIPROLE from one word
picked from an enumeration ("PERFORMER", "CREATOR" and "PRESENT") to
be any (free text) word describing the role. Therefore PARTSTAT
probably will not be appropriate.

>  [9] Is some non-standard file format - unreadable so I don't know
>  what a 'DIP' is.

Sorry, the file is an MS Powerpoint (.PPT) document - we will make it
available as HTML pages.

More answers to Doug Royers comments and suggestions will be posted 
separately.

Pär