Subject: Re: New Topic: Export of calendar data and metadata

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:47:53 -0400

You all have been talking "Import/Export". This is a client capability. 
Don't you mean "Archive/Restore", a server capability?
In either case, I was fairly certain that we deferred this from the 
original requirements for CAP. No?
-- Frank

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:56:26 -0700

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> You all have been talking "Import/Export". This is a client capability. Don't
> you mean "Archive/Restore", a server capability?

No.

> In either case, I was fairly certain that we deferred this from the original
> requirements for CAP. No?

Yes - We did defer Archive/Restore.

We also said we must provide the ability to synchronize two calendars.
We would not specify how, just that it must be possible to pull
the contents out of a calendar and put it back possibly modified.

To do that the CUA must be able to get the entire calendar
and put an entire calendar. 

-Doug

---

From: David Madeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:29:22 -0400

> > you mean "Archive/Restore", a server capability?

I'm never going to expect two implementations to handle Archive/Restore the same
way.  There are too many implementation details to get right.  How do you handle
locking the database down while you restore, etc. It's also probably more focused
on the Calendar Store, rather than individual calendars.

I do want CAP to explicitly explain how a CUA would extract the entire contents of
a calendar (calendar data and meta data) out.  Whether this is an EXPORT command
which hasn't been thought about yet, or (as I suspect), a set of queries which will
define the entire set of contents, I'll leave this to better and brighter minds
than my own.

If we define what we expect in CAP, everyone will do it in the same way which has
huge benefits for all.   Implementors will have customers easily switching around
to the best implementation.  Customers will have no barriers to picking the best
vendors.  Your super-PDA will chortle happily while synchronizing with the server.

If we don't, then people like me will be explaining to people who don't want to
hear about it why they won't have the ACL's (or whatever) they spent so much time
getting right,  after we switch them to the new product we've picked.

Rather than going back and forth over what to call this, can I ask that one of the
authors take a stab at describing what they think would provide the simplest/most
complete way of extracting a complete set of calendar and meta data?  I'd do this
myself, but I'm in the middle of deploying a new version of a calendar product
within my firm.

dmadeo