Subject: Re: New Topic: Export of calendar data and metadata

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:12:34 -0400

Ah, hah! 
So, by ARCHIVE/RESTORE you mean the server operation to put/get of the 
calendar store to a server-side storage device. By IMPORT/EXPORT, you mean 
the act of asking the CS for a stream of iCalendar data representing the 
current state of the calendar store or pushing to the CS a stream of 
iCalendar data representing the current state of the calendar store?
The term "IMPORT/EXPORT" is confusing, then. It implies the common 
vernacular which would be a CUA file function.
We want a EXTRACT/INSERT type of capability, then?
-- Frank

---

From: David Madeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:38:37 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> calendar store to a server-side storage device.

Yes.  This is an implementation detail which doesn't need to be in CAP.

> By IMPORT/EXPORT, you mean the act of asking the CS for a stream of
> iCalendar data representing the current state of the calendar store or
> pushing to the CS a stream of iCalendar data representing the current
> state of the calendar store?

Yes.  Except to mention that I may want to import calendars from a
command line CUA, as well as a GUI or PDA.

> vernacular which would be a CUA file function.

Ideally, when I do "File->Export", the CUA will do a "EXTRACT" (as you
call it), and then save the results on the local machine somewhere.  So
while I see the distinction, I'm not sure it's important.

> We want a EXTRACT/INSERT type of capability, then?

I'm not too worried about what it's called.  EXTRACT is fine with me.

dmadeo