Subject: Re: CAP and Timezones/Recurrence/Queries

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:04:43 -0400

Thorsten Laux wrote, in part:
>A common example for this is to have all events rendered in list form. 
>Since a list opposed to the standard time views enforces no time limit 
>on its events you have to resort to showing parents of recurrence 
>series to keep the result set limited.

Obviously, a list structure isn't ideal to represent an infinitely 
repeating event (e.g., FREQ=WEEKLY). 
I think the answer to Doug's earlier comment is that if you query based on 
a WHERE UID="123", then you get back the definition for the base event. If 
it is a recurring event, then you get the original definition of the 
VEVENT. If you specified WHERE (UID="123" RECURRENCE-ID=" <date/ time of 
the first occurence), then you would get the unzipped definition of the 
first occurrence (i.e., the one specified by the DTSTART/DTEND) in the 
zipped definition for the event.
-- Frank

---

From: Thorsten Laux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 17:40:49 GMT

Obviously, a list structure isn't ideal to represent an infinitely 
repeating event (e.g., FREQ=WEEKLY). 
I think the answer to Doug's earlier comment is that if you query 
based on a WHERE UID="123", then you get back the definition for the 
base event. If it is a recurring event, then you get the original 
definition of the VEVENT. If you specified WHERE (UID="123" 
RECURRENCE-ID=" <date/ time of the first occurence), then you would 
get the unzipped definition of the first occurrence (i.e., the one 
specified by the DTSTART/DTEND) in the zipped definition for the 
event. 
-- Frank 
Are you saying that unzipping takes place if and only if the property 
RECURRENCE-ID is used in the where clause? So to query all unzipped 
occurrences in a time intervall you would have to say WHERE DTEND>x 
AND DTSTART<y AND RECURRENCE-ID LIKE %. I think that can and should be 
said more explicit. 
Thorsten

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 07:46:58 -0700

> AND DTSTART<y AND RECURRENCE-ID LIKE %. I think that can and should be

I agree.

-- 
Doug
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work: [email-masked]      Home    801 Woodside Rd #14-244
      530 E. Montecito St.         Office: Redwood City, CA 94061
      Santa Barbara, CA 93103
      805-957-1790 x541            Personal Email: [email-masked]