Subject: Re: queries for unbounded recurring components

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 01:17:43 -0400

You are asking for _all_ the occurrences. However, that is defined by the 
parent VEVENT definition with the RRULE. Just return that primary one.
-- Frank

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Mansour)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 22:14:31 -0700

Hmmm... I think it's more involved than that.  Are you suggesting that
all clients/requesters should know how to expand the RRULE?  A
light-weight client app may want all the instances of a recurring event.
Must it expand the RRULEs / EXRULEs ?  Yow!

-Steve

[email-masked] wrote:

>
> You are asking for _all_ the occurrences. However, that is defined by
> the parent VEVENT definition with the RRULE. Just return that primary
> one.
>
> -- Frank
>
>

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 12:08:55 -0400

Steve Mansour wrote:

> Hmmm... I think it's more involved than that.  Are you
> suggesting that all clients/requesters should know how to
> expand the RRULE?  A light-weight client app may want all the
> instances of a recurring event.

Yes, but we have to think about bandwidth issues--especially
since one of the important places for thin clients is in non-PC
devices in the home, where you probably have 56k or less.

I would prefer to see a protocol where the server is never
required to do the expansion itself.  CPU time is so much cheaper
than bandwidth that it's unreasonable for the clients not to take
on the load.  (For that matter, why should the overworked server
CPU take on that work for its thousands of clients? Push the hard
parts to the edges; that's what makes the Internet run.)

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Help stamp out vi in our lifetime!           |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/