Subject: Subject: Comments: Draft-many-ical-ski DIPROLE vs PARTSTAT

From: "greg fitzpatrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 03:42:02 +0100

---------------------
Subject: Comments: Draft-many-ical-ski DIPROLE vs PARTSTAT

Doug's comments on the SKiCal draft:
 
>(2.1) DIPROLE:

> Why not add to PARTSTAT? Why a new parameter?
>(2.2) DITROLE:

> Again [9] is unreadable, so what is a 'DIT'?
It looks to me as if this is some kind of comment about
 why you would want to attend the event?

Apologies, apologies for dealing out acronyms without defining them.

A DIT is a "by Description Identifiable Thing" and a DIP is a "by
Description Identifiable Person".  A DIPROLE is the role of a person or
person present at an event, e.g. actor, award respondent, MC, Parade
Marshall, ... hostess, salesperson etc.

A DITROLE is the role of a thing at an event and should among other things
convey whether the DIT is actually present at the event, e.g. "'99 model
cars" or referred to in its absence, e.g. the "Holy Grail", "the works of
Picasso".   DITROLE tells us if the DIT is being played on or x-rayed,
blown-up, being sold, on-display, unveiled, launched etc.

Now Doug suggests partstat which is defined as:

(from RFC 2445) partstat - Purpose: To specify the participation status for
the calendar user specified by the property.

In our eyes this doesn't fit the participation status for the "non"-
calendar-user.  As you can see, terms like "NEEDS-ACTION" / "ACCEPTED" /
"DECLINED do not jell with terms like "SINGER" / "DANCER" / "STANDUP
COMEDIAN" / 

Perhaps Doug meant ROLE, but there is still a problem with the definition of
ROLE;

(from RFC 2445) ROLE - Purpose: To specify the participation role for the
calendar user specified by the property.

  We see these parameters as part of the calendar mechanism, which should be
reserved for the purposes of reservations, bookings and confirmations and
not for describing the "cast" or the "orchestra" or "the football team"

Neither do we feel that ATTENDEE should be stretched to cover what we intend
DIP to cover.   
 
Greg

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:40:52 -0700

greg fitzpatrick wrote:

> A DIT is a "by Description Identifiable Thing" and a DIP is a "by Description
> Identifiable Person". A DIPROLE is the role of a person or person present at
> an event, e.g. actor, award respondent, MC, Parade Marshall, ... hostess,
> salesperson etc.
> 
> convey whether the DIT is actually present at the event, e.g. "'99 model cars"
> or referred to in its absence, e.g. the "Holy Grail", "the works of Picasso".
> DITROLE tells us if the DIT is being played on or x-rayed, blown-up, being
> sold, on-display, unveiled, launched etc.
> 

Yes I did - thanks.

> reserved for the purposes of reservations, bookings and confirmations and not
> for describing the "cast" or the "orchestra" or "the football team"
> 

One of the mechanisms in iCalendar and the ATTENDEE is that it is a
list of who is to be notified of changes to the event (Date/Time, place, ...).

Would they be notified of changes? If the answer is NO, then I see
your point. If however it is YES, then they also need to be an ATTENDEE
or they will not be notified of changes.