Subject: proposed section on TLS Ciphersuites

From: "Paul B. Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 11:01:09 -0500

Hi,

I propose a new section that describes which TLS Ciphersuites are 
appropriate for use with CAP.

2.4.2.4  TLS Ciphersuites

    The following ciphersuites defined in [RFC 2246] MUST NOT be used for
    confidentiality protection of passwords or data:

          TLS_NULL_WITH_NULL_NULL
          TLS_RSA_WITH_NULL_MD5
          TLS_RSA_WITH_NULL_SHA

    The following ciphersuites defined in [RFC 2246] can be cracked easily
    (less than a week of CPU time on a standard CPU in 1997).  The
    client and server SHOULD carefully consider the value of the
    password or data being protected before using these ciphersuites:

          TLS_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_RC4_40_MD5
          TLS_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_RC2_CBC_40_MD5
          TLS_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA
          TLS_DH_DSS_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA
          TLS_DH_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA
          TLS_DHE_DSS_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA
          TLS_DHE_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA
          TLS_DH_anon_EXPORT_WITH_RC4_40_MD5
          TLS_DH_anon_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA

    The following ciphersuites are vulnerable to man-in-the-middle
    attacks, and SHOULD NOT be used to protect passwords or sensitive
    data, unless the network configuration is such that the danger of
    a man-in-the-middle attack is tolerable:

          TLS_DH_anon_EXPORT_WITH_RC4_40_MD5
          TLS_DH_anon_WITH_RC4_128_MD5
          TLS_DH_anon_EXPORT_WITH_DES40_CBC_SHA
          TLS_DH_anon_WITH_DES_CBC_SHA
          TLS_DH_anon_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA

    A client or server that supports TLS MUST support at least
    TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA.