Subject: SKICal applications

From: Pär Lannerö <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:50:43 +0100 (MET)

CALSCH friends

We would like to let you know that there is a  bunch of SKiCal
applications up and running on the Internet (at least in Sweden) and
we hope that everyone has a chance to take a look.  If we can in any
way participate in the interoperability tests from a distance - let
us know.

The largest municipalities in Sweden have committed themselves to SKiCal and
Stockholm town is the first implementer.

The InfoStructure which we are building for Stockholm has a central node -
Stockholm's information Service - SIS - at
http://www.stockholmtown.com/events/9/index.asp
you can click on "advanced" search to try out some Geo searches.

If you pick any event you will be able to download it to your desktop
calendar. The SKiCal extensions are all X-ed so they should not
disturb interoperability - but then of course you cannot to see the
skical-specific information.

Several major newspapers will boost their events calendars by
regularly collecting event information contained in the SKICal file
generated by calling SIS webserver at
http://www.stockholmtown.com/events/9/skical.vcs?since=2000-03-08
(The particular example retrieves all events edited or published
since March 8.) There are a few similar URLs from which event
information can be harvested, but this one is by far the richest one 
available today. 

The Swedish tourist council distributes an application for creating
and editing SKICal (and iCalendar) files, for those who do not have
their information in a database already. It is a Java application 
and can be retrieved from http://195.163.30.82/qscwdv/skicalgen.zip
Sorry, the interface is only in Swedish so far.

For those of you unfamiliar with the SKiCal extensions - the draft is 
here:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-many-ical-ski-01.txt

More information about the SKICal initiative can be found at
http://www.skical.org/

Greetings from Pär Lannerö and Greg FitzPatrick