Subject: CAP Data Exchanges

From: Eric Busboom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:24:51 -0700 (PDT)

Steve, 

In the CAP draft, the example in section 7.1.3 has this text:

             S: BEGIN:VCAP
             S: PRODID:-//ACME/CAPserver//EN
             S: VERSION:2.1
             S: IDENTITY=[email-masked]
             S: CAPVERSION=1.0
             S: ITIPVERSION=1.0
             S: AUTH=KERBEROS_V4
             S: AUTH=DIGEST_MD5
             S: CAR=CAR-FULL-1
             S: MINDATE=19700101T000000Z
             S: MAXDATE=20370201T000000Z
             S: END:VCAP 

How should we interpret this? I hope that this means that all of those
equal signs are supposed to be ":" and that AUTHENTICATE will return data
as an iCalendar component.

I also saw a hint of a CALID property. Can we expect that CALIDEXPAND and
UPNEXPAND will also return iCalendar components?

I'd much prefer if all of the data in CAP, outside of commands and
response codes, was encapsulated in iCalendar. 

eric.

---

From: "Shannon J. Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 14:45:21 -0500

In my periodic and ongoing studying of the standard, a few questions that
occurred to me in my most recent reading, especially in light of our ongoing
current discussion about DURATION, some questions follow.

1. Why is there a "Member" parameter? The examples that are shown do not
seem to clearly identify a useful role for this parameter.

2. Why is there a RANGE parameter – it also does not seem to clearly have a
useful role? Certainly the examples do not show why this is there or how it
will be used in "real" world applications.

3. p26. uses a reference to a "group schedule calendar component" which is
not, I think, ever defined anywhere else in the standards document.

4. p36 – Says only that for periods the start time must be before the end
time.

	It should also be specific that there should be a UNIQUE rendering of the
period. i.e. the time values MUST be in the same format (you can’t have a
floating time and a UTC or TZID formatted time and get a sensible result.)
This probably should be clarified and specified.

Shannon

Shannon J. Clark
CEO - JigZaw, Inc
1.800.4.JIGZAW (454.4929)
[email-masked]
www.jigzaw.com