Subject: Re: Omit VTIMEZONE when using global identifiers?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 14:21:31 -0400

Alan asked:
> So what's the point of using the unique name?

Hmm, how about more than 1 VEVENT in the VCALENDAR that uses a different 
TZID??

How about having an RDATE with a different TZID because its repeating in a 
different timezone (ie: think TV or satelite rebroadcasts, "on the road" 
presentations, etc)??

Given that at least these 2 cases could require > 1 TZID I think I can see 
why its necessary.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: Alan Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 14:22:35 -0400

>Given that at least these 2 cases could require > 1 TZID I think I can see 

You don't need a globally unique TZID to do that, just an ID that's
unique within the VCALENDAR, for which you can choose any text string
that you like.

RFC2445 4.2.19

    The presence of the SOLIDUS character (US-ASCII decimal 47) as a
    prefix, indicates that this TZID represents a unique ID in a globally
    defined time zone registry (when such registry is defined).

         Note: This document does not define a naming convention for time
         zone identifiers. Implementers may want to use the naming
         conventions defined in existing time zone specifications such as
         the public-domain Olson database [TZ]. The specification of
         globally unique time zone identifiers is not addressed by this
         document and is left for future study.

--Alan

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:00:33 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> Hmm, how about more than 1 VEVENT in the VCALENDAR that uses a
> different TZID??

No, I think he means globally unique.  Two different timezones in
the same iCalendar could be solved by on-the-fly TZIDs.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |I'm not a bibliophile, I'm a bibliophiliac. Put|
[email-masked]|me in a bookstore, & my wallet bleeds.         |
\================================================================/