Subject: Reefknot talk at Boston.pm May 1

From: srl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:39:21 -0400 (EDT)

For those of you who were wondering about the Reefknot talk in
Boston on May 1, here's the official notice. This will be an
*informal* work-in-progress talk and brainstorming session.

srl
-- 
Shane R. Landrum         [email-masked] 
we generate our own light to compensate for the lack of light from above -AD
GPG public key: http://cs.smith.edu/~slandrum/srl_pgpkey.txt

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 11:26:53 -0400
From: Ronald J Kimball <[email-masked]>
To: Boston Perl Mongers <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Boston.pm] Tech Meeting Tues May 1

Boston.pm will be having a Technical Meeting on Tuesday, May 1 (one week
from today), at the offices of Boston.com.  The meeting will begin at
7:30pm.  See below for directions.

Kirrily "Skud" Robert and Shane Landrum will be presenting Reefknot, a
shared calendaring project.  An abstract of this talk is included below.

Also, Chris Nandor will tell us about the current state of MacPerl.  With
the recent releases of both perl5.6.1 and Mac OS X, there's a lot going on!

Boston.com will be providing pizza and beverages.

All members and friends of Boston.pm are welcome.  Please RSVP to me if you
plan on attending this meeting.

thanks,
Ronald
[email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------
Reefknot: shared calendaring in Perl
Kirrily "Skud" Robert and Shane Landrum

Have you ever wished your enterprise could do without MS Exchange?
Ever wanted to schedule events with other members of
your club, family, or organization? Do you use Perl?
If so, you want to know about Reefknot.

Reefknot is a project to build standards-compliant shared
calendaring tools in Perl. We want to make it easy for 
Perl programmers to build calendaring clients and servers that
speak iCalendar (RFC2445) and other standard protocols.

The Reefknot project's major work to date is a major revision of
Net::ICal; release 0.14 will be available soon on CPAN.  We'll talk
about the project's goals, show some of our recent work, and discuss
what we're working on next.  Bring your ideas for how you want to
use calendaring tools.

See http://reefknot.sourceforge.net for more information.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Boston.com
320 Congress Street
Boston, MA
02210

http://go.boston.com/scripts/map.dll?mad=320+Congress+St&mwt=350&mht=280&mct=Boston&mst=MA&YpOp=map&type=gis&method=mapaddr&Search=View+Map&ck=&ver=2.11

Driving directions:

Directions From the South Shore:

Drive north on the expressway (Rt 93.) take exit 20 (the
Downtown Boston/Chinatown/Mass Pike exit) and stay towards the left
when on the exit ramp. At the bottom of the exit ramp, take a left
onto Kneeland Street and then your first right onto Surface
Road. Drive straight past South Station, and past the Federal Reserve
building, take a right Congress St. (At the Congress Street turn there
will be a shop Lannan Ship Model Gallery on your right.) On Congress
Street, drive straight over the bridge, (passing by the Boston Tea
Party replica exhibit), past the Milk Bottle, and the Children's
Museum. 320 Congress Street is on the left, the next building after
the Children's Museum.

Directions From the North Shore:

Drive south on the expressway (Rt. 93) and take exit 23, (the High
Street/Congress St exit.) The exit ramp puts you on Oliver
Street. Take the first left onto High Street, and then after a few
streets take a left onto Congress St. (it looks like two streets on
the map I'm looking at, but I don't think that it is counting a couple
of very wide looking alleys) Once on Congress, do your best to keep to
the right, since the intersection at Surface Rd has two left turn only
lanes. Drive straight past Lannan Ship Model Gallery, straight over
the bridge, past the Tea Party replica, and past the Children's
Museum. Boston.com is in the next building on the left. 320 Congress
St.

Parking info:

The cheapest for-pay parking in the evenings is the lot across the
street from Boston.com (I think it is a Kinney lot, evenings are a $6
flat rate.) The next least expensive parking lots are the $7 lots on
either Service Rd (a few blocks down from Boston.com on the left) or
the Northern Ave lots (Instead of the above driving directions, drive
to the Federal Courthouse and walk up Sleeper Street, Boston.com will
be at the corner of Sleeper and Congress on the left.) The parking lot
at the corner of Congress and Farnsworth is outrageously expensive at
any hour, as is the Farnsworth St Garage. 

For street parking, I think there are a few non-resident parking
spaces still on the block Boston.com is on, but it seems that they
convert more non-resident to resident spaces every week. More street
parking is available on Summer Street (the street parallel to Congress
on the south) and Dorchester Ave. (not to be confused with the well
known Dot Ave. This one is just the short stretch of road that
connects the Fort Point Post Office to Three Cheers). There is also
parking on East Service Road and West Service Road. If you are looking
for street parking I'd suggest driving circles around
Congress/Service/Summer/Dorchester or driving down to E Service Rd/W
Service Rd (around Anthony's Pier 4) If you park on Summer St, walk
towards Downtown Boston and look for the small downward stairway on
the last building before the bridge. That stairway will lead to
Congress St and help you avoid having to cross the bridge twice.

Public Transportation Directions:

If you take the commuter rail into South Station, exit from the doors
on the right (near the ticket counter) cross the street to the Federal
Reserve Building (the large white building with the metal sliding
panels which hide the gun turrets) take a right and walk along Summer
St. down the sidewalk towards South Boston. At the set of lights with
the the Post Office towards your right, take a left on Dorchester Ave
and walk one block towards Congress St. Once you hit Congress
St. cross the bridge and pass the Tea Party Museam, the Milk Bottle
and the Children's Museum. Boston.com is in the next building after
the Children's Museum.

Directions from the Red Line:

Try to navigate through the underground labyrinth to the 
"Museum Warf/Federal Reserve" exit. Go up the stairs and stand so you
are facing South Boston and your back is against the Downtown Crossing
area. Once above ground, find the subway entrance that I meant for you
to leave from and walk towards that one. (Unless you wind up at the
one that exits right into South Station itself, if so follow the
commuter rail directions above.) Walk down Summer with the Federal
Reserve building on your left and South Station on your
right. /Federal Reserve" exit. Go up the stairs and stand so you are
facing South Boston and your back is against the Downtown Crossing
area. Once above ground, find the subway entrance that I meant for you
to leave from and walk towards that one. Walk down Summer with the
Federal Reserve building on your left and South Station on your
right. When you get to the set of lights at the corner of Summer and
Dorchester, (the Post Office is on your right) take a left and walk
one block towards Congress St. Once on Congress St, take a right, walk
over the bridge and pass the Tea Party Museum, The Milk Bottle, and
the Children's Museum. Boston.com is in the next building after the
Children's Museum.

Food info:

If you are planning on heading to around the Boston.com office first
and then picking up dinner or coffee (maybe a small snack to tide you
over until the tech meeting's pizzas are served), you will be serverly
disappointed. Everthing on Congress and Summer Street closes by
5PM. Your best bet is either the South Station food court (which is
open until about 8PM), or along Summer Street heading toward Downtown
Crossing. (If you choose South Station, I recommend the Bourbon
Chicken.)