Subject: Re: Interpretation of VALARM TRIGGERs in recurring components

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:54:06 -0400

Graham asked:
>While the default
>value type of the property is DURATION, a DATE-TIME value type can also
>be specified by means of a VALUE parameter.  I'm wondering what the
>interpretation of this would be in the case of a VEVENT or VTODO that
>has a recurrence rule:

The intent and only really logical interpreation of a VALUE=DATE-TIME is 
that the alarm triggers only 1 time, at the specified date and time.  It 
is non-sensical to have a TRIGGER;VALUE=DATE-TIME on a repeating entry 
really since they would in effect all trigger at the same instance in 
time.  Perhaps someone will write a CUA that will play some .WAV Audio 
alarm 500 times for that 500 instance repeating meeting (want to drive 
your cubicle neighbors up a wall??) but the generally accepted intent is 
that its only for use on non-repeating entries.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...