Subject: Proposed Text for "Does 1day == 24 Hours"

From: Eric Busboom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:21:06 -0700 (PDT)

This is proposed text for RFC2445 issue #52 Please review the text and
comment. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Addition to 4.3.6   Duration

When calculating an end time from a DTSTART and a DURATION, the dur-day
("D") and dur-week ("W") MUST only be added to the date parts of the
DTSTART; dur-day and dur-week MUST NOT be assumed to be generally
convertable to hours, minutes or seconds.

If the value of DTSTART is a DATE, then the DURATION MUST NOT include
dur-hour, dur-minute or dur-second parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

eric.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:55:41 -0400

> convertable to hours, minutes or seconds.

I like.

> dur-hour, dur-minute or dur-second parts.

I dont see a strong need for this restriction.  The DTSTART;VALUE=DATE has 
an implicit 00:00:00 local starting time so time durations can still be easily and accuratly used.

It _could_ get messy if a TZID that was not the same as the recipients was used AND 
a DST shift was involved in 1 case but not the other but for those VERY 
tiny cases Id say that the 95/05 rule (or is that 99/01?) would apply. 
Then again Im not _that_ strongly against it (I just want to keep the text 
perturbations down).

Bruce
"Mr. KISS"
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...