Subject: Re: Attendee clarification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:58:54 -0400

John wrote:
>Those are not C&S systems; they're just C systems.  If the
>invitee can't RSVP, you're not doing scheduling; you're just
>publishing an event.

Id say that Data General would disagree that their award winning CEO 
product doesn't have C&S in it.  (I used it for 7 years while @ DG and I 
arranged/participated in at least 1 meeting while there).  I believe (but 
could be wrong) that Novell's GroupWise also has a restriction that did 
not allow it to support RSVP as well.  Guess GroupWise isnt a C&S product 
then either...  If a system has a design more like "direct book" or some 
different design than your they are not a valid possible implementation 
candidate for iCalendar...

Sounds like John has the view that the RSVP is more like a Delivery 
Confirmation notice also.  Thats not a valid use for it; that what your 
MIME settings are for on your iMIP message...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:17:15 -0400

> >invitee can't RSVP, you're not doing scheduling; you're just

[...]

> Sounds like John has the view that the RSVP is more like a
> Delivery Confirmation notice also.

No.  My objection is this: if you want to do scheduling, you need
feedback from the recipients, to find out whether or not they're
going to attend the meeting.  If you're using a system that
doesn't support that feedback (or if you set RSVP to FALSE), then
all you've done is publish an event into the recipients'
calendars; you have no idea whether or not they'll be there.

--
/==============================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Chief Scientist |=============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |I have strong opinions about ambivalence.    |
[email-masked]|                                             |
\==============================================================/