Subject: iCalendar and XML

From: "David King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 12:43:36 -0400

What are the group's thoughts on the DTD[1] and XML[2] drafts created for
iCalendar?  Good/bad?  Has any body used them to implement an application?

I've been tasked with implementing a calendar app in one of my company's
products and am finding it to be a daunting experience.  After looking at
iCal for the first time, I was immediately confused on why this hasn't moved
over to be an XML based format.

Thanks,
David King

[1] http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-dawson-ical-xml-dtd-01.txt
[2] http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-reddy-xml-ical-00.txt

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:26:19 -0400

> over to be an XML based format.

(a) Because it doesn't need to be.  It might be nice, but it wouldn't really
buy us any new expressiveness.  Syntax is easy; the hard part is the schema.

(b) Because the early proponents of expressing iCalendar in XML disagreed on
whether it should permit free-form extensions, and the working group moved on
to more useful topics.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |Stupid, adj.: Losing $25 on the game and $50 on|
[email-masked]|the instant replay.                            |
\================================================================/