Subject: Syndicated events

From: "David King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 14:08:52 -0400

I'm currently looking into having syndicated events.  Very similar to what
RSS[1] does with news feeds.

ex 1) Red Hat has a list of training events.
ex 2) A list of holidays. (federal, religious, etc.)

Is it a good idea to use iCalendar for this?  The only reference I could
find to syndicated events on the list is this thread[2].  However, it
appears that it would be a bad idea to use iCalendar because of all its
extraneous information.

What are your thoughts on syndicated events?  Have people seen this
implemented somewhere?  Is there a format that already handles this?  Are
there any examples of syndicated event feeds?

Maybe this is a job for an RSS 1.0 module?

-David

[1] http://blogspace.com/rss/
[2] http://www.imc.org/ietf-calendar/mail-archive/msg07385.html

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:13:26 -0400

David wrote on 05/21/2001 02:08:52 PM:
> Is it a good idea to use iCalendar for this? 

This is quite easily done in iCalendar.  Check out many of the examples 
under Section 4.8.5.4 Recurrence Rule of the spec (starting on p 118). You 
can also check out Section 4.1.5 Anniversaries or Events attached to 
entire days in RFC 2446 (iTIP) for one of the editors favorite examples, 
Bastille Day.  Also in RFC 2446, Section 4.1 Published Event Examples 
covers some examples of publishing something like your 1st example.

>                                         The only reference I could

If you were doing 'workflow' then there is much more overhead then in a 
simple PUBLISH.  Again, check out the cited examples/sections from above.

> there any examples of syndicated event feeds?

In order: 
iCalendar fits your needs; 
not as you have described (Ive seen it in some web calendars for 
'personal' stuff); 
vCalendar (the precursor to iCalendar) can do it but the recurrence 
grammar for vCalendar is different and not compatable so Id recommend 
using iCalendar; 
not that I know of.

> Maybe this is a job for an RSS 1.0 module?

Dont know RSS so I can't answer this...

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...