Subject: Re: VTIMEZONE conflicts - possible solution

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:59:40 -0400

John postualted on 05/11/2001 04:23:38 PM:
> I think Damon's right; we should be able to put a TZNAME in the
> VTIMEZONE.  There would still be TZNAMEs in the STANDARD/DAYLIGHT
> components.

Can someone please tell me why we want it in both places when you and 
Damon just claimed that it is of no use in the VDAYLIGHT and VSTANDARD 
subcomponents?  About the only logical reason I can think of is possibly 
so that some VERSION:2.0 engines wont choke and die w/o it but then again 
if they never use it as some claim, why would they choke and die??

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: [email-masked]
Iris Associates                          Phone: 978.392.5335
Westford, MA, USA 01886                    FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:04:36 -0400

[email-masked] wrote:

> Can someone please tell me why we want it in both places when
> you and Damon just claimed that it is of no use in the
> VDAYLIGHT and VSTANDARD subcomponents?

I did not say that.  Having TZNAME in STANDARD & DAYLIGHT is
useful for when you want to tell the user what timezone a
non-recurring event is scheduled for.  Having it in VTIMEZONE is
useful for when you want to describe a recurring event, or when
the user wants to pick a timezone from a list.

--
/================================================================\
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.  |
|Chief Scientist |===============================================|
|eCal Corp.      |"Where's your sense of adventure?" "In front of|
[email-masked]|a roaring fire with a cup of cocoa."           |
\================================================================/

---

From: Damon Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 15:28:13 -0400

> the user wants to pick a timezone from a list.

This doesn't matter much for us, since we have a separate list of
builtin timezones that the user gets to pick from.

We are probably going to stick with the Olson city names for all
references to our builtin timezones. So it just seems a bit silly
to have to repeat the city name in each STANDARD/DAYLIGHT component.
But it is probably too late to change the spec now.

Damon