Subject: CAP-12-a: Stored queries still?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:41:21 -0400

We never reached a clear concensus on the issue of stored queries in CAP. 
The thread just stopped in mid-January 2003 and I still question the 
usefulness of them in CAP.

As a refresher for those that may not recall that thread or are new:

CAP has the ability to store and refer to 'named' queries in the protocol. 
 However, since there is no ability to wildcard any values in the query 
(ie: "Find me all VALARMs that TRIGGER in the next 15 minutes" or "Find me 
all VEVENTs that have a DTSTART sometime Today" are _not_ possible) I 
contend that the usefulness of stored queries is too limited to be of any 
use in CAP.   A CUA must rewrite and restore the 'named' query every time 
the parameters change.  For example, "Find me all VALARMs where TRIGGER >= 
20030903T090000Z AND TRIGGER <= 20030903T091500Z", and then  "Find me all 
VALARMs where TRIGGER >= 20030903T091500Z AND TRIGGER <= 
20030903T093000Z", and then it need to be changed again...

The concept was originally added for 'thin' clients (ie: PDAs or cell 
phones) to minimize bandwidth or footprint needs but its demonstratable 
that their real usefulness is very limited compared to what any CUA or CS 
would have to do to use or support them.

In the interest of KISS I re-propose that we remove all references to them 
in CAP 1.0 unless someone can show a real benefit from using them.

Bruce
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Standard disclaimers apply, even where prohibited by law...