Subject: CAP-13: Defining the meaning of "*"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:05:17 -0400

In looking up the defintiion of "*" and "*.*" I tried to find it in the 
CAP-13 text or the ABNF and I cant find it actually defined anywhere 
really.  I did find 1 defintion in relation to permissions:

   all         = "*"

and this bit related to UPNs in Section 9.3 VCAR Component:

                                   "All CUs and UGs" are
   specified by the UPN value "*".

but I found no other text or ABNF that defined the use of "*" to mean "All 
sub-components and all properties" the way we use it in Section 6.1.1 
CAL-QUERY Value Type and throughout CAP.  I know we all take it to be "all 
matches" or "all items" as in a regexp match but we really should 
explicitly define what "*" means since we use it frequently in CAP.

I propose we add the following line to Section 6.1.1 somewhere near the 
top:

        All contained properties and subcomponents are specified by the 
cap-cols value "*".

Bruce
PS: Note to editor: The leading DQUOTE on that cited sentence from Section 
9.3 should be removed.
===========================================================================
Bruce Kahn                                INet: 
[email-masked]
Messaging & Collaboration                 Phone: 978.399.6496
IBM Software Group                         FAX: and nothing but the FAX...
Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.