Subject: CalConnect vCard Workshop - September 18, 2007 - Cambridge, Massachusetts

From: Dave Thewlis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:17:43 -0700

CalConnect invites you to a a one-day open workshop on vCard and what 
should be done about it on Tuesday, September 18, 2007, at M.I.T. in 
Cambridge, Massachusetts. This event is _open_ to vendors, customers, 
CalConnect members and non-members alike. There is no fee, but you 
_must_ register in advance and numbers are limited. Please see
http://www.calconnect.org/vcardworkshop.shtml for more information and 
links to the registration <http://www.calconnect.org/vcardreg.shtml> and 
logistics <http://www.calconnect.org/vcardworkshoplogistics.shtml> 
pages, a general discussion list 
<http://www.calconnect.org/vcardworkshoplist.shtml> about the workshop, 
and a questionnaire <http://www.calconnect.org/vcardquestionnaire.shtml> 
to give us more guidance to make the workshop as productive as possible.

 From the workshop introduction page:

vCard is a well established standard for representing and transferring 
contact information on computer systems and mobile devices. Having been 
in use for a while, a number of areas of the specification have been 
noted as problematic and in need of revision for fixes or enhancements. 
To that end, CalConnect (the Calendaring & Scheduling Consortium) is 
hosting a one day vCard-focused workshop event at M.I.T. in Cambridge, 
Massachusetts in September with the goal of bringing together the key 
players to help move forward vCard revision efforts.

Note that an effort is already under way at the IETF (Internet 
Engineering Task Force) to develop a personal address book access 
protocol based on the CardDAV specification, and since that is based on 
vCard, a revision of the vCard specification will be taking place within 
the IETF. However, bringing together interested parties in a focused 
discussion at a workshop can help drive that effort and provide 
supporting input to it to ensure the specific needs of the key players 
is covered.

The goal of the workshop is two-fold. First to determine the real 
interest in revising the vCard specification, and second to determine 
what needs to be revised and how to go about doing that.

If you are not a CalConnect member, this is also an opportunity to stay 
on for Roundtable X <http://www.calconnect.org/roundtable10.shtml> as an 
observer, and we'd be delighted to have you; you will have to register 
separately for the Roundtable. 

Regardless of whether or not you are interested in attending the 
workshop, we would appreciate it very much if you would take a few 
minutes to fill out the questionnaire 
<http://www.calconnect.org/vcardquestionnaire.shtml>, as this will help 
provide the workshop participants with guidance as to the directions any 
progression on vCard should take.

-- 
*Dave Thewlis, Executive Director
Calconnect - The Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium*
+1 707 840 9391 (voice) · +1 707 498 2238 (mobile)
http://www.calconnect.org · [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>