Subject: [Captive-portals] Scope question

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 10:22:37 -0600

Detecting a captive portal and redirecting a browser to a specific page is
one aspect.
But does the WG intend to also address the issue of apps that require
Internet connectivity?
Most users on a smartphone/tablet use apps Vs a browser.
While the apps use HTTP/HTTPS extensively, it is not possible to redirect
to a captive portal and display that page.

Will the WG address this aspect as well?

-Raj

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 09:52:13 +0000

> Will the WG address this aspect as well?

Yes and no.

This isn't really "redirecting the browser to a specific page", it is more
like "telling the *device* that it needs to contact a specific page.
Presumably the device will then open a browser (perhaps a special one) and
connect that to the page" -- if you've used a recent Android or iOS, you've
probably seen something like this behavior already.

On a related note:
Initially, the working group will focus on simplifying captive portal
interactions where a user is present. A secondary goal is to look at the
problem posed to or by devices that have little or no recourse to human
interaction.

W

>
> -Raj
>
> _______________________________________________
> Captive-portals mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/captive-portals
>