Subject: [Captive-portals] Failure to Load Captive Portal

From: Margaret Nanyonga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 09:14:43 +0300

Hello all,

I hope this finds you well. I'm new to this group and looking forward to
learn as much as I can and be instrumental in the long run.

I have an issue with the Wi-Fi network - the captive portal fails to load
and gives a redirect error or walled-garden error. It consists of a
MikroTik working with the HSNM (Hotspot Network Manager).  We have
unsuccessfully carried out some troubleshooting (listed below) but the
problem persists.

   - Changed the captive portal to reside on the MikroTik and not the HSNM.
   This worked quite well but as the traffic grew, there was a lag of 30
   seconds and sometimes the captive portal never loaded.
   - Tried to disable login using twitter and facebook and left Google+ and
   default sign-up but this didn't help.
   - Sometimes clearing the cache of the browser helps but other times it
   fails.
   - Atimes we manually put the IP address that points to the captive
   portal and this works sporadically.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

-- 

Kind Regards,

Margaret Nanyonga