Subject: [Captive-portals] CAPPORT API with real Captive Portals and Linux Client: End-to-End demo

From: Heng Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 17:02:44 -0700

Hi Everyone,
We are a team in google working on Google Station
<https://station.google.com/> with a mission of connecting the
under-connected by providing fast, secure and reliable WiFi. Within that
charter, CAPPORT + API server spec helps in various ways.

We have a demo ready based on a Mikrotik AP of how a CAPPORT API server
might look like:
Mikrotik device is the dhcp server and CP Enforcement device, and hosts
CAPPORT API https server. The dhcp server is configured to add a custom
Option 160.
Mikrotik device connects to gStation Captive Portal.
User equipment is a linux laptop with ubuntu runing dhclient with custom
hooks (scripts): Upon obtaining an IP via DHCPv4, a browser will open
automatically with the url of the gStation Captive portal.

This will be in a self contained Mikrotik Hap ac box with LTE backhaul, and
others can connect to the SSID and try it out as well (if the dhcp client
is modified to understand the option).

We were wondering if a demo of such would be useful to the committee in the
coming IETF 106 in Singapore if CAPPORT API is a topic of interest.

regards,
Dr. Heng Liu

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 20:46:03 +0200

Heng Liu <liucougar=[email-masked]> wrote:
    > We were wondering if a demo of such would be useful to the committee in
    > the coming IETF 106 in Singapore if CAPPORT API is a topic of interest.

You could certainly put it online during the Hackathon.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Tommy Pauly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 08:42:20 -0700

+1 to doing this at the hackathon, to also test interoperability with other implementations. I'd be happy to work on this with you at the hackathon on Sunday, and then (especially if there are others who want to test as well), we can present the results to the WG.

Thanks,
Tommy

> On Oct 17, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Michael Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Captive-portals mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/captive-portals

---

From: Kyle Larose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 11:45:00 -0400

I agree. I think this is a good way to show traction for the work we're
doing.

There's also the hackathon demo happy hour (
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/106hackdemo) where you could
have an opportunity to demo it to the wider community.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 at 11:42, Tommy Pauly <tpauly=[email-masked]>
wrote:

> +1 to doing this at the hackathon, to also test interoperability with
> other implementations. I'd be happy to work on this with you at the
> hackathon on Sunday, and then (especially if there are others who want to
> test as well), we can present the results to the WG.
>
> Thanks,
> Tommy
>

---

From: Erik Kline <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 15:47:13 -0700

(let me try again with reply-all :-)

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:42 AM Tommy Pauly <tpauly=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> +1 to doing this at the hackathon, ..., and then (especially if there are
> others who want to test as well), we can present the results to the WG.
>

Do folks think we should attempt to get an informal meeting slot, then?
(Like 103 in Bangkok, we have no official agenda slot.)

---

From: Heng Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 15:48:53 -0700

+1 for an informal meeting slot

thanks
Dr. Heng Liu

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 3:47 PM Erik Kline <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> +1 to doing this at the hackathon, ...., and then (especially if there
>> are others who want to test as well), we can present the results to the WG.
>>
>

---

From: Tommy Pauly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 19:57:29 -0700

Yes, I think having some time to talk about the documents, particularly in light of the experiments being run at IETF 106, would be useful.

Perhaps we could have a doodle poll for times?

Thanks,
Tommy

> On Oct 29, 2019, at 3:47 PM, Erik Kline <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:42 AM Tommy Pauly <tpauly=[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> +1 to doing this at the hackathon, ...., and then (especially if there are others who want to test as well), we can present the results to the WG.
>

---

From: Remi NGUYEN VAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 12:12:14 +0900

+1 both for the hackathon and informal meeting. I also plan to work on the
Android implementation during the hackathon, to show a first demo.

Cheers,

Remi

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 11:58 AM Tommy Pauly <tpauly=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, I think having some time to talk about the documents, particularly in
> light of the experiments being run at IETF 106, would be useful.
>