Subject: [Captive-portals] Last Call: <draft-ietf-capport-rfc7710bis-04.txt> (Captive-Portal Identification in DHCP / RA) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 05:52:40 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Captive Portal Interaction WG
(capport) to consider the following document: - 'Captive-Portal
Identification in DHCP / RA'
  <draft-ietf-capport-rfc7710bis-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-05-13. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In many environments offering short-term or temporary Internet access
   (such as coffee shops), it is common to start new connections in a
   captive portal mode.  This highly restricts what the customer can do
   until the customer has authenticated.

   This document describes a DHCP option (and a Router Advertisement
   (RA) extension) to inform clients that they are behind some sort of
   captive-portal enforcement device, and that they will need to
   authenticate to get Internet access.  It is not a full solution to
   address all of the issues that clients may have with captive portals;
   it is designed to be used in larger solutions.  The method of
   authenticating to, and interacting with the captive portal is out of
   scope of this document.

   This document replaces RFC 7710.  RFC 7710 used DHCP code point 160.
   Due to a conflict, this document specifies 114.

   [ This document is being collaborated on in Github at:
   https://github.com/capport-wg/7710bis.  The most recent version of
   the document, open issues, etc should all be available here.  The
   authors (gratefully) accept pull requests.  Text in square brackets
   will be removed before publication. ]

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-capport-rfc7710bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-capport-rfc7710bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.