Subject: [Captive-portals] Protocol Action: 'Captive-Portal Identification in DHCP / RA' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-capport-rfc7710bis-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2020 12:01:26 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Captive-Portal Identification in DHCP / RA'
  (draft-ietf-capport-rfc7710bis-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Captive Portal Interaction Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-capport-rfc7710bis/

Technical Summary:

This document defines DHCP and RA options that allow a network to indicate the
location of a captive portal.

This version of the document replaces RFC 7710 with clarifications about what
the "location of a captive portal" means, a means for a network to indicate the
absence of a captive portal, and a new DHCP code point that we believe to be
uncontested.

Working Group Summary:

This document was fairly uncontroversial in discussions.

Document Quality:

The document is a considerable refinement over the previous version, which left
many aspects undefined.  Experiments (and multiple implementations) revealed
that the previous version was undeployable due to the DHCP option conflict.  We
have several implementations and have validated this.  Those implementations are
prototype quality, but implemented in major operating system stacks, so we are
confident that this is implementable.

Personnel:

Martin Thomson is document shepherd.  Barry Leiba is the responsible Area Director.