Subject: [Captive-portals] Martin Duke's No Objection on draft-ietf-capport-architecture-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Martin Duke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2020 23:05:15 -0700

Martin Duke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-capport-architecture-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-capport-architecture/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

After further discussion, I see that draft-09 does indeed address my Discuss -
the user-portal-url is optional in practice, just something the api design has
to cover.

I found the terminology around “Captive Portal API server” and “Captive Portal
Server” to be a little confusing, as these are similar terms. The latter also
doesn’t get its own discussion in Section 2 and is confusingly called the “web
portal server” in Figure 1.

After Figure 1, this seems to be consistently called the “web portal” (sec 2.6
and 4). In the API doc it is called a "user portal." It would be great to unify
the terminology across the documents as a whole.

---

From: Kyle Larose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 11:14:50 -0400

Martin,

Thanks again for the review.

Responses inline below.

> draft-ietf-capport-architecture-09: No Objection

In version 09 we've replaced all mentions of "Captive Portal Server"
with User Portal. Similarly, we ensured that we were consistent with
its use throughout the document, so "web portal" has become "user
portal".

> the terminology across the documents as a whole.

We've fixed up the diagram and the document as a whole to use "user
portal", which is consistent with the API.

Thanks again,

Kyle