Subject: [Captive-portals] RFC 8910 on Captive-Portal Identification in DHCP and Router Advertisements (RAs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 21:03:33 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8910

        Title:      Captive-Portal Identification in DHCP and 
                    Router Advertisements (RAs) 
        Author:     W. Kumari,
                    E. Kline
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Obsoletes:  RFC 7710
        Updates:    RFC 3679

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-capport-rfc7710bis-10.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8910

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8910

In many environments offering short-term or temporary Internet access
(such as coffee shops), it is common to start new connections in a
captive portal mode. This highly restricts what the user can do until
the user has satisfied the captive portal conditions.

This document describes a DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 option and a Router
Advertisement (RA) option to inform clients that they are behind some
sort of captive portal enforcement device, and that they will need to
satisfy the Captive Portal conditions to get Internet access. It is
not a full solution to address all of the issues that clients may
have with captive portals; it is designed to be one component of a
standardized approach for hosts to interact with such portals. While
this document defines how the network operator may convey the captive
portal API endpoint to hosts, the specific methods of satisfying and
interacting with the captive portal are out of scope of this
document.

This document replaces RFC 7710, which used DHCP code point 160. Due
to a conflict, this document specifies 114.  Consequently, this
document also updates RFC 3679.

This document is a product of the Captive Portal Interaction Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC