Subject: [Capwap] concluding taxonomy draft v06 -- plan to submit tomorrow

From: "Yang, Lily L" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:36:07 -0800

Ok. I updated the taxonomy draft to reflect the most recent consensus on
this issue. Check out the new text at 
http://www.capwap.org/draft-ietf-capwap-arch-06.txt
The change log at:
http://www.capwap.org/change-log-for-v06-fromv05.txt

Now section 5.8.1 reads:

   If the STA and AC are the parties in the 4-way handshake (defined in
   [4]), and 802.11i traffic encryption terminates at the WTP, then the
   PTK (Pairwise Transient Key) has to be transferred from the AC to the
   WTP.  Since the keying material is part of the control and
   provisioning of the WTPs, a secure encrypted tunnel for control
   frames is employed to transport the keying material.

   The centralized model encourages AC implementations to use one PMK
   for many different WTPs.  This practice facilitates speedy transition
   by a station from one WTP to another WTP that is connected to the
   same AC without establishing a separate PMK.  However, this leaves
   the station in a difficult position.  The station cannot distinguish
   between a compromised PMK and one that is intentionally being shared.
   This issue must be resolved, but the resolution is beyond the scope
   of the CAPWAP working group.  The venue for this resolution is to be
   determined by the  IEEE 802 and IETF liaisons.

If no other objection, I plan to submit this version to IETF repository
tomorrow.

Thanks!
Lily

_______________________________________________
Capwap mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mail.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:02:32 -0800

Ok with me.

-Dorothy

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of ext Yang, Lily L
> Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 7:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Russ Housley; Walker, Jesse
> Subject: [Capwap] concluding taxonomy draft v06 -- plan to submit
> tomorrow
> 
>

---

From: "Pat R. Calhoun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:28:52 -0800

Works for me too

PatC

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]
Sent: Wed 11/17/2004 2:02 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Capwap] concluding taxonomy draft v06 -- plan to submit tomorrow
 
Ok with me.

-Dorothy