Subject: [Capwap] WTP Mac Type negotiation.

From: sujay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:01:52 +0530

The CAPWAP does not specify as to how the selection is made if the WTP 
Can support both Modes Split and Local and Frame (Tunnel ) type.

The WTP specifies MAC Type and Frame Type  in Discovery Request message,
but if it supports 
both modes , there is no provision for the AC to select the working
mode.

Recommendation :
1. Add the WTP mode and WTP tunnel type messages  in the
configure response ? Which  makes it binding 
agnostic.

2. The logic for choosing WTP mode type on the AC could depend on the
load, and user policy.

Solicit comments.

Regds,
Sujay

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:43:54 +0800

Dear All,

Following from Sujay G's suggestion, this is text for mode selection in
the case where a WTP supports both split-MAC and local-MAC modes and can
also support the different tunnel options. 

Cheers,

Saravanan

 

----oooo----

<NOTE> 

Introduce how operational mode is selected in Section 2 (Protocol
Overview) [Paragraph 3, after 2nd sentence]

<END NOTE>

"The WTPs specify their operational modes in their Discovery Request
message, to which the responding AC selects particular operational modes
and specifies them in the Discovery Response message."

<NOTE> 

Then in Section 5.2 (Discovery Response) [After Paragraph 2, include
following paragraph]

<END NOTE>

" In the case where a requesting WTP is capable of both Local-MAC and
Split-MAC operations (MAC Type [Section 5.1.4] value "2") or where a WTP
is capable of all types of bridging (Frame Type [Section 5.1.5] value
"7"), AC determines the particular operating mode based on the
following;

i. Control-bias Mode

In this mode, the AC has greater control of WTP operations. So the AC
instructs the requesting WTP to operate in Split-MAC mode. 

ii. Load-bias Mode

In this mode, the AC reduces processing load of WTP operations. So the
AC instructs the requesting WTP to operate in Local-MAC mode. "

<NOTE>

Introduce Operation Mode message element as Section 5.2.6 (Operating
Mode).

<END NOTE>

5.2.6.   Operating Mode

   The Operating Mode message element specifies the mode of operation
for a WTP capable of  

   operating in both Local-MAC and Split-MAC modes. 

      0
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |Operating Mode |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 
   Type:  TBD
 
   Length:  1
 
   Operating Mode:  The selected mode for WTP operation
 
        0: Control-bias mode, WTP operates in Split-MAC mode
 
        1: Load-bias mode, WTP operates in Local-MAC mode 

----XXXX----

 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: sujay [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 2:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Saravanan Govindan
Subject: WTP Mac Type negotiation.

Importance: Normal

X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

X-MSMail-priority: Normal

but if it supports 

mode.

Recommendation :

agnostic.

load, and user policy.

Solicit comments.

Regds,

Sujay