Subject: [Capwap] Issue 69: Clarify the contents of the key field in add/update WLAN

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:11:49 -0800

The original comment was:
>  2. Isn't it likely for the WTP and AC to support more than 
> one encryption algorithm for the data from the  mobile 
> stations ? And the mobile stations can make a choice of the 
> encr algo that they can use.
> 
>     In that case, the Encryption policy defined as part of  
> Update WLAN ( Section 11.8.1.3) and Secn 11.8.1.1 (Add WLAN) 
> should  be a bit-map. 

The quick answer is no, only a single encryption mechanism can be used.
Recall that this key indication is for either shared WEP, or dynamic
(802.11i) encryption keys. Using the former, only a single method is
supported. As far as 802.11i, the standard states that the lower 
encryption method advertised is used in broadcast messages. For
instance,
if a BSSID advertises support for WEP, TKIP and AES, all broadcast 
messages would use WEP. So there is no such concept as having different
encryption group encryption algorithms per BSSID.

So I'd like to close this issue, unless folks disagree. 

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap