Subject: RE: [Capwap] Questions on the CAPWAP Protocol Specification

From: "Scott Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:48:21 -0800

This is in response to question 1 in Richard's email, and question 2 in
Sujatha's email: I think the two are related.

> sujatha.varadarajan wrote:

<trimmed unrelated question...> 

> 2. The WTP Radio Information that lists the Radio type and Id is part
of

> the Discovery Request.

> It is not sent as part of any Message after that.

> But since the AC does not keep any state for a Discovery Request,

> the AC does not remember it. I assume that without knowing the Radio
type,

> the AC would not be able to

> configure the WTP. I suggest we add Radio Type TLV to the Configure

> Request,

> to avoid this.

> Richard Gwee wrote:

<trimmed unrelated question...> 

>  In page 13, on the state machine, after the DTLS-Complete, there are
two states named

>  Configure and Image Data. It is not very clear on what basis will the
protocol transverse

>  from the DTLS-complete to the Configure state or to the Image Data
state. What information

>  is required for the protocol to choose between the two transitions?
Appreciate some 

>  enlightenment here

Basically, these problems are the result of removing the Join request. I
think one solution resolves both of these: add the relevant fields from
the Join-Request to the Configure-Request, and move the image-data
transition so that you must go into configure state first. Perhaps a
little less confusing way to put this is as follows: *always* go from
DTLS-Complete to Configure; put all required data in the configure
exchange, and if necessary, go from Configure to Image-Data.

Scott

________________________________

Republic Polytechnic, 9 Woodlands Avenue 9, Singapore 738964 (Near
Woodlands MRT/Interchange)
. www.rp.sg <http://www.rp.sg>  . Fax: +65 6415-1310 . 

Republic Polytechnic, the first Institute of Higher Learning to fully
adopt the Problem-Based Learning approach in Singapore, continues to
strive towards best practices and maintain excellence in service
standards with the following certifications: Singapore Innovation Class
(SIC), Singapore Quality Class (SQC), People Developer Standards and
QEHS (ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001)

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains
information that is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of
this message, are not the intended recipient, you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this communication. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return
email and delete the original message. Thank you. 	
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:28:01 +0530

Hi Scott, 
 Thanks for the response.
 I agree  that if we add all the relevant Message Elements to Configure
Request, my problem will be solved.
 
The suggested Message Elements from Join Request to be added to the
Configure Request are 
1. WTP name - this is the way the WTP identifies itself to the AC.
2.WTP descriptor  - the AC should know the encryption capabilities of the
WTP 
3.Location Data 
4. WTP radio information - radio type and radio id 
 
But I am not sure if this will solve Richard's Problem . I was under the
assumption that the  WTP should use the
AC Descriptor (Firmware Version/ SW version etc) to make that decision. The
AC descriptor is part of the 
Discovery REsponse from the AC to the WTP. 
 
Thanks again 
Sujatha 

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Kelly [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 4:18 AM
To: Richard Gwee; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Capwap] Questions on the CAPWAP Protocol Specification

> 2. The WTP Radio Information that lists the Radio type and Id is part of

> the AC does not remember it. I assume that without knowing the Radio type,

>  In page 13, on the state machine, after the DTLS-Complete, there are two
states named

protocol transverse

>  from the DTLS-complete to the Configure state or to the Image Data state.
What information

Appreciate some 

Basically, these problems are the result of removing the Join request. I
think one solution resolves both of these: add the relevant fields from the
Join-Request to the Configure-Request, and move the image-data transition so
that you must go into configure state first. Perhaps a little less confusing
way to put this is as follows: *always* go from DTLS-Complete to Configure;
put all required data in the configure exchange, and if necessary, go from
Configure to Image-Data.

Scott

  _____  

Republic Polytechnic, 9 Woodlands Avenue 9, Singapore 738964 (Near Woodlands
MRT/Interchange)
.  <http://www.rp.sg> www.rp.sg . Fax: +65 6415-1310 . 

Republic Polytechnic, the first Institute of Higher Learning to fully adopt
the Problem-Based Learning approach in Singapore, continues to strive
towards best practices and maintain excellence in service standards with the
following certifications: Singapore Innovation Class (SIC), Singapore
Quality Class (SQC), People Developer Standards and QEHS (ISO 9001, 14001
and OHSAS 18001)

  _____  

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that
is privileged and confidential. If you, the reader of this message, are not
the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this
communication. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately by return email and delete the original message. Thank
you.