Subject: [Capwap] Statistics - General information exchange

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:05:11 +0800

All,

This is regarding the statistics exchanges. So far, the statistics
information are specified only for the IEEE 802.11 binding (11.7.2.1
"IEEE 802.11 Statistics"). 

I think WTPs also need to exchange more general information about the
network as a whole and about the WTP. For instance, WTP needs to
exchange its loading and queuing information so that the AC can monitor
the state and capacity of the network. 

Since this needs to be periodic, my suggestion is to have the Echo
Request (6.1 "Echo Request") carry statistics or general feedback
message elements. So with every Echo exchange, the AC will learn about
the prevailing general conditions of the network. 

The following proposal relates to the draft:

----0000----

In section 6.1 Echo Request, introduce a "Statistics" message element
with the following fields.

      0                   1                   2                   3

      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |          WTP Load             |     WTP Transmit Queue        |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

     |    Channel Interference       |          Congestion           |

     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Type: TBD

WTP Load: A 16-bit value specifying the load (frames/sec) exchanged by
the WTP.

WTP Transmit Queue: A 16-bit value specifying the prevailing queue level
as a 

     portion of total queue size.

Channel Interference: A 16-bit value specifying SINR (dB) monitored by
the WTP.

Congestion: A 16-bit value specifying the congestion experienced by the
WTP.

----XXXX----

Saravanan

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: Michael Montemurro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:03:13 -0500

I've created issue 84 to track this feature request.
 
Cheers,
 
    Mike

  _____  

From: Saravanan Govindan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: March 3, 2006 4:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Capwap] Statistics - General information exchange

All,

This is regarding the statistics exchanges. So far, the statistics
information are specified only for the IEEE 802.11 binding (11.7.2.1 "IEEE
802.11 Statistics"). 

I think WTPs also need to exchange more general information about the
network as a whole and about the WTP. For instance, WTP needs to exchange
its loading and queuing information so that the AC can monitor the state and
capacity of the network. 

Since this needs to be periodic, my suggestion is to have the Echo Request
(6.1 "Echo Request") carry statistics or general feedback message elements.
So with every Echo exchange, the AC will learn about the prevailing general
conditions of the network. 

----0000----

In section 6.1 Echo Request, introduce a "Statistics" message element with
the following fields.

      0                   1                   2                   3

 

Type: TBD

WTP Load: A 16-bit value specifying the load (frames/sec) exchanged by the
WTP.

WTP Transmit Queue: A 16-bit value specifying the prevailing queue level as
a 

Channel Interference: A 16-bit value specifying SINR (dB) monitored by the
WTP.

Congestion: A 16-bit value specifying the congestion experienced by the WTP.

----XXXX----

Saravanan