Subject: [Capwap] Handling of failed requests

From: "Peter Nilsson J (LI/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:06:47 +0200

Hi,

The CAPWAP specification is not very clear on how to handle a failure
indication in the Result Code message element in the response to certain
request messages.

Join Request and Reset Request I guess is OK.
But what shall be done in AC and WTP if Configuration Update Requests,
WLAN Configuration Requests and Station Request fail?

One drastic approach would be to as mentioned in the spec for Reset
Response "to no longer provide service to the WTP in question".
But this seems a litle bit to drastic if WLAN Configuration and Station
Requests fails. 

Peter Nilsson
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:28:40 -0700

Well... it depends on what fails. Some configuration parameters are
crucial on the WTP, while others could be considered less necessary. I
believe there is already an issue open to track this problem set, but I
do not have network access at this time, and therefore cannot look.
However, one proposal here would be to mark each message elements
importance (mandatory, optional), and any mandatory message elements
that causes the failure would be considered castatrophic. The WTP could
interpret any failures on an optional message element is sufficient to
allow it to provide service. The actual failure would be communicated to
the AC, which would then make a determination on whether it wants the
WTP to provide service.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

________________________________

	From: Peter Nilsson J (LI/EAB)
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:07 AM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [Capwap] Handling of failed requests

	Hi, 

	The CAPWAP specification is not very clear on how to handle a
failure indication in the Result Code message element in the response to
certain request messages.

	Join Request and Reset Request I guess is OK. 
	But what shall be done in AC and WTP if Configuration Update
Requests, WLAN Configuration Requests and Station Request fail?

	One drastic approach would be to as mentioned in the spec for
Reset Response "to no longer provide service to the WTP in question".

	But this seems a litle bit to drastic if WLAN Configuration and
Station Requests fails. 

	Peter Nilsson