Subject: [Capwap] WLAN terminology & BSSID-WLAN mapping

From: "Saravanan Govindan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:39:59 +0800

Dear All,

In the 802.11 protocol binding draft, there are references to "WLAN" in
the context of creating and configuring WLANs (Section 2.1.1, 2.3 and
2,4). It would be a good idea to have this term included in the
terminology section. 

I'm including a suggestion that was made earlier for this term. Looking
back at the mailing list, issue 207 was created for this. 

Suggestion:

WLAN: A WLAN refers to a logical separation of a physical WTP, also
known as logical group. So a single physical WTP will operate a number
of WLANs or logical groups. Virtual access points are examples of
logical groups. Here, each Basic Service Set Identifier (BSSID) and
constituent wireless terminals' radios are denoted as distinct logical
groups of a physical WTP.

--xx--

Related to this is my concern about Section 2.4 "BSSID to WLAN ID
Mapping". I think implementers are going to have difficulty
understanding "WLAN" in this context. I suggest explaining "WLAN" - in
addition to the terminology text - as it was done in the Objectives
document. We could borrow text on logical groups from that work (Section
5.1.1 of RFC 4564). 

Cheers,

Saravanan

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap