Subject: [Capwap] <Interim>: Issue 121: Message-handling: receipt of unexpected messages

From: "Mani, Mahalingam (Mani)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:22:49 -0700

The issue (posted against -01) is about methods of handling messages
unexpected in the state of the WTP or AC

1.	This was explicitly related to the question about whether
discovery messages can be expected in run state (and whether they could
be used to infer the WTP has rebooted and hence entertain the discovery
message - in the clear - as legitimate) and reset prior state.
2.	The issue was further discussed in the context of methods of
handling messages inconsistent with the state of the WTP or AC.

Resolution:

1.	The  discussion concluded that (2) the unauthenticated discovery
message is insufficient reason to reset state and resume rediscovery.
However, discovery message would be entertained in this context and
other states independent of existing run-state.
2.	Other messages received in the protected states/modes which are
inconsistent with the state of the AC or WTP will be returned with
appropriate error (unexpected message in **** state) message. Sections
4.5.31 and 4.5.32 of -04 and elsewhere will be updated to clarify this.
Pat will provide the updates.

This is posted here for WG discussion, acceptance/consensus.

Regards,

-mani

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:10:42 -0800

Mani,
 
I ended up creating issue 239, a separate issue, since 121 was quite
restricted in scope, and the agreement was to solve a broader problem,
which you have described below. The proposed text was submitted to the
list on 1/26.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

________________________________

	From: Mani, Mahalingam (Mani) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 5:23 PM
	To: capwap
	Subject: [Capwap] <Interim>: Issue 121: Message-handling:
receipt ofunexpected messages

	The issue (posted against -01) is about methods of handling
messages unexpected in the state of the WTP or AC

	1.	This was explicitly related to the question about
whether discovery messages can be expected in run state (and whether
they could be used to infer the WTP has rebooted and hence entertain the
discovery message - in the clear - as legitimate) and reset prior state.

	2.	The issue was further discussed in the context of
methods of handling messages inconsistent with the state of the WTP or
AC. 

	Resolution:

	1.	The  discussion concluded that (2) the unauthenticated
discovery message is insufficient reason to reset state and resume
rediscovery. However, discovery message would be entertained in this
context and other states independent of existing run-state. 
	2.	Other messages received in the protected states/modes
which are inconsistent with the state of the AC or WTP will be returned
with appropriate error (unexpected message in **** state) message.
Sections 4.5.31 and 4.5.32 of -04 and elsewhere will be updated to
clarify this. Pat will provide the updates. 

	Regards,

	-mani