Subject: [Capwap] <Interim>: Issue 153: Message-handling: unexpected message elements in a message.

From: "Mani, Mahalingam (Mani)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:22:53 -0700

This issue (posted against draft-01) raises the question of draft being
unspecific about how to handle message elements that are not known to
the receiver (be it AC or WTP); be it in a request message or a response
message.

After a lengthy discussion (refer minutes) on the history of the issue -
the following resolution has been reached.

Meeting-time resolution:

-         If a message element is encountered in any message the
processing will abort and

-         If it is a request message, an (unknown message element) error
response will be returned.

*          The entire message will not be processed - regardless of
relevance of other message elements before and after.

-         If it is a response message that contains an element unknown;
it will be silently discarded.

-         Pat to provide text to clarify result codes.

-         Sections to be updated: 4.5.31 & 4.5.32. Possibly other
sections as well.

This is posted here for WG discussion, acceptance/consensus.

Regards,

-mani

_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap

---

From: "Pat Calhoun (pacalhou)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:13:15 -0800

I just noticed that I posted the proposed text for this issue as issue
239, because it was a combination of both 121 and 153 (they were very
much related. I would like to close 121 and 153, and simply use 239
instead (with the scope you have noted in your e-mails). 
 
The text to 239, which addresses both 121 and 153, was sent on 1/26.

Pat Calhoun
CTO, Wireless Networking Business Unit
Cisco Systems

________________________________

	From: Mani, Mahalingam (Mani) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 5:23 PM
	To: capwap
	Subject: [Capwap] <Interim>: Issue 153: Message-handling:
unexpected messageelements in a message.

	This issue (posted against draft-01) raises the question of
draft being unspecific about how to handle message elements that are not
known to the receiver (be it AC or WTP); be it in a request message or a
response message.

	After a lengthy discussion (refer minutes) on the history of the
issue - the following resolution has been reached.

	Meeting-time resolution:

	-         If it is a request message, an (unknown message
element) error response will be returned.

	*          The entire message will not be processed - regardless
of relevance of other message elements before and after.

	-         If it is a response message that contains an element
unknown; it will be silently discarded.

	-         Sections to be updated: 4.5.31 & 4.5.32. Possibly
other sections as well.

	Regards,

	-mani