Subject: [Capwap] Proposed Resolution for Issue 152: "Which Message Elements can be repeated?"

From: "Dorothy Stanley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:10:49 -0800

All,

At the CAPWAP Interim meeting, we discussed Issue 152, listed below:

3) CAPWAP-01 doesn't do a good job of indicating which message elements
can be repeated.

<PRC> Another good point. When we list the message elements, we should
note whether the frequently is 0-1 (meaning absent or once), 1 (only
once) or 0+ (meaning any number of them could be present.

We agreed that the specifications should indeed indicate that multiple of a
given message element
could be included in each message, and that development of a proposed
resolution
for Issue 152  would be referred to the editors to propose a
resolution to the Working Group. The current text already describes of 0/1
of each element
may/must be included. The proposed resolution is below, and has two
components,
(a) an assessment of whether one or multiple elements is appropriate - see
the lists below, and (b) the
text addition to indicate that multiple of an element are allowed
(suggestion in the next paragraph).

When more than one instance of a message element may be present, this will
be indicated by the
insertion of additional text "Multiple name-of-message-element message
elements may be present in the
name-of-message message." in the applicable bullet item.

In capwap-protocol-specification-04, the impacted sections are sections
5,6,8,9 and 10, describing
each of the CAPWAP messages.

5.1 - Discovery Request - only one of each message element
5.2 - Discovery Response - only one of each message element, except for (to
be added) WTP Radio
Information element
5.3 - Primary Discovery Request - only one of each message elememnt
5.4 - Primary Discovery Response - only one of each message element, except
for WTP Radio
Information element

6.1 Join Request -only one of each message element
6.2 Join Response - only one of each message element, except for WTP Radio
Information element

8.2 Configuration Status -only one of each message element
8.3 Configuration Status Response - only one of each message element
8.4 Configuratio Status Acknowledge - only one of each message element
8.5 Configuration Update Request - only one of each message element
8.6 COnfiguration Update Response - only one of each message element
8.7 - Change State Event Request -only one of each message element, except
for the Returned Message Element element

9.1 Image Data Request - only one of each message element
9.2 Image Data Respose - only one of each message element
9.4 Reset Response - only one of each message element
9.5 - WTP Event Request - more than one of each message element may be
included
9.7 - Data Transfer Request - only one of each message element

10.1 Station Configuration Request - more than one of each message element
may be included
10.2 Station Configuration Response - only one of each message element

In the capwap-protocol-binding-ieee80211-01 document, the impacted sections
are 3 and 5.

3.1 IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Request - only one of each message
element
3.2 IEEE 802.11 WLAN Configuration Response - only one of each message
element

5.1 - Discovery Request - more than one of each message element may be
included
5.2 Primary Discovery Request - more than one of each message element may be
included
5.3 Join Request - more than one of each message element may be included
5.4 Configuration Status -more than one of each message element may be
included
5.5 Cnfiguration Status Response - more than one of each message element may
be included
5.6 Configuration Update Request - more than one of each message element may
be included
5.7 Station Configuration Request - more than one of each message element
may be included
5.8 WTP Event Request - more than one of each message element may be
included

Comments welcome,

Thanks,

Dorothy Stanley
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap