Subject: [Capwap] The introduction of 01 version of MIB draft

From: "ff richard_fy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 22:22:17 +0800

Before publishing 01 version of MIB draft prepared by David and me (Shi
yang), I would like introduce some major changes of it compared with 00
version.

The main change of 01 version:
1)      Rename "WTP radio template" with "WTP virtual radio".
An important objective for MIB draft is to reuse IEEE 802.11 MIB and future
IEEE 802.11 standards. Otherwise, it will be impossible to make IETF CAPWAP
to work
 well with IEEE 802.11 MIB standards.Without reusing, the only thing we
could do is to keep modifying CAPWAP and 802.11 binding MIB to support new
802.11 standards.
The problem is current IEEE 802.11 MIB is easy to be used by FAT AP, while
it will have trouble for Fit AP. A major reason for this trouble is most
tables in IEEE 802.11 MIB are indexed by ifIndex (It could responding to a
radio interface). According to CAPWAP idea, user should prepare radio
configuration before WTP connect to AC. At the time, there is no any radio
info.
In the 00 version, it bring forward a idea of "WTP radio template". Before
WTP connect to AC, administrator will create a "WTP radio template"
interface, under it, administrator could set parameter for a radio. By this
way, this virtual radio interface will establish mapping relationship with
PHY radio of a WTP. Through this " ifIndex", CAPWAP will be able to easily
reuse current and future 802.11 MIB standards. In another word, CAPWAP MIB
will establish a bridge between CAPWAP MIB and IEEE 802.11 MIB.
But in the 00 version, considering the name of "WTP radio template" is not
very meaningful, so it will be replaced by new name of "WTP virtual radio"
interface. The basic design idea of 00 version is still followed by 01
version.

2)      Add an example section
Some guy in the mailing list asked me some issues of 00 version. I found the
reason of their doubt is on account of no example to explain how MIB is
used.
So an entire example is added for CAPWAP MIB and 802.11 binding MIB. With
it, it will explain how interface MIB, CAPWAP MIB, IEEE 802.11 MIB will be
used together
Wish it will make it easy to understand by this way.

3)  Update some table design
My next mail will discuss it. Kindly refer to it.

Regards

Richard (Shi yang)
_________________________________________________________________
To unsubscribe or modify your subscription options, please visit:
http://lists.frascone.com/mailman/listinfo/capwap

Archives: http://lists.frascone.com/pipermail/capwap