Subject: [Caris-attendees] New list: Stopping Malware And Researching Threats (SMART)

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 10:03:31 -0400

Hello!

A new email list has been established through the Internet Research Task
Force (IRTF) called: Stopping Malware And Researching Threats (SMART).

*When we say threats, we mean things like malicious domains, DDoS attacks,
IoT botnets, how networks are protected and how phishing can be
best detected, through a range of measures.*

*The Stopping Malware and Researching Threats Research Group (or SMART
RG) aims to stimulate research into how requirements to defend against
cyber attacks can be met in a world of encrypted data. It will research the
effects, both positive and negative, of existing, proposed and newly
published protocols and Internet standards on attack defence. It will
gather evidence from information security practitioners on methods used to
defend against attacks and make this available to protocol designers. **It
will research and promote **ways to deal with attacks efficiently and make
the most of resources to do this.** It will publish case studies
into historic attacks, so the community can learn from previous attacks. *

The draft charter has already been posted to the mailing list for
discussion:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/smart/current/msg00003.html--

We are also thinking about a CARIS-2 workshop to discuss research toward
these goals.  More details will follow, but we'd love your participation on
the SMART list and feedback on the proposed charter.

To join the mailing list, please fill in the form at the following link:
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/smart

Kirsty presented on behalf of the UK National Cyber Security Center at the
last IETF SAAG meeting to determine interest and her presentation:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-102-saag-cyber-defence-00

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Best regards,
Kathleen