Subject: NSPW 1999 Call For Papers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:15:46 -0500

========================================================================

                            Call For Papers
                  New Security Paradigms Workshop 1999
                      A workshop sponsored by ACM
                         22 - 24 September 1999
                     Caledon Hills, Ontario, Canada
                          http://www.nspw.org
========================================================================

For seven years, the New Security Paradigms Workshop has provided a
productive and highly interactive forum in which innovative new
approaches (and some radical older approaches) to computer security have

been offered, explored, refined, and published. The workshop offers a
constructive environment where experienced researchers and practitioners

work alongside newer participants in the field.  The result is a unique
opportunity to exchange ideas.

The 1999 New Security Paradigms Workshop will take place from September
22 - 24, 1999 at The Millcroft Inn, an hour north of Toronto, Ontario,
Canada. In order to preserve the small, intimate nature of the workshop,

participation is limited to authors of accepted papers and conference
organizers. Because these are new paradigms, we cannot predict what
subjects will be covered. Any paper that presents a significant shift
in thinking about difficult security issues will be welcomed.

The New Security Paradigms Workshop is highly interactive in nature.
Authors are encouraged to present ideas that might be considered risky
in some other forum. All participants are charged with providing
feedback
in a constructive manner. The resulting non-threatening brainstorming
environment has proven to  be an excellent medium for furthering the
development of these ideas. The proceedings, published after the fact,
have consistently benefited from the inclusion of workshop feedback.

To participate, please submit the following, preferably via e-mail, to
both Program Chairs -- Steven J. Greenwald ([email-masked]) and Cristina
Serban ([email-masked]) -- by Friday, April 2, 1999 (hardcopy
submissions must be received by Friday, March 26, 1999).

1 - Your Paper
You should submit either a research paper, a 5 - 10 page position
paper, or a discussion topic proposal. Softcopy submissions should be
in Postscript or ASCII format. Papers may be submitted in hardcopy.
To submit hardcopy, please mail 5 (five) copies to Program co-chair
Cristina Serban. Please allow adequate time for delivery.

Discussion topic proposals should include an in-depth description of the

topic to be discussed, a convincing argument that the topic will lead to

a lively discussion, and any other supporting materials.

2 - Justification
You should describe, in one page or less, why your paper is appropriate
for the New Security Paradigms Workshop. A good justification will
describe the new paradigm being proposed, explain how it is a departure
from existing practice, and identify those aspects of the status quo
it challenges or rejects.

3 - Attendance Statement
You should state how many authors wish to attend the workshop. Accepted
papers require the attendance of at least one author. In order to ensure

that all papers receive equally strong feedback, all attendees are
expected to stay for the entire duration of the workshop.

The program committee will referee the papers and notify the authors of
acceptance status by June 11, 1999. We expect to be able to offer a
limited number of scholarships. More information will be provided on our

web site as it becomes available.

Workshop Co-Chairs

Darrell Kienzle                      Mary Ellen Zurko
The MITRE Corporation                Iris Associates
Mail Stop W423                       230 Nashua Rd.
1820 Dolley Madison Blvd.            Groton, MA 01450 USA
McLean, VA 22102 USA                 e-mail: [email-masked]
e-mail: [email-masked]            voice: (978) 392-6018
voice: (703) 883-5836                fax: (978) 692-7365
fax: (703) 883-1245

Program Committee Co-Chairs

Steven J. Greenwald                  Cristina Serban
2521 NE 135th Street                 AT&T Labs
North Miami, FL 33181 USA            307 Middletown-Lincroft Rd.
e-mail: [email-masked]                Lincroft, NJ 07738 USA
voice: (305) 944-7842                e-mail:   [email-masked]
fax: (305) 944-5746                  voice: (732) 576-3279
                                     fax: (732) 576-6406

Program Committee

Donald Beaver, Transarc Corp.
Bob Blakley, IBM
LiWu Chang, Naval Research Laboratory
Simon Foley, University College, Cork, Ireland
Erland Jonsson, Chalmers University
Clifford Kahn, EMC Corporation
M J Lin, The University of Texas at Austin
Keith Marzullo, University of California, San Diego
Catherine Meadows, Naval Research Laboratory
Ira S. Moskowitz, Naval Research Laboratory
Alfarez Abdul Rahman, University College London
Thomas Riechmann, University of Erlangen
O. Sami Saydjari, DARPA
Marvin Schaefer, ARCA Systems
Anil Somayaji, University of New Mexico
Brenda Timmerman, California State University, Northridge
Chenxi Wang, University of Virginia
John Michael Williams

Local Arrangements
Heather Hinton (Ryerson Polytechnic University) (416) 979-5000 x6686

Scholarships
Hilary Hosmer (Data Security Inc.) (781) 275-8231
Brenda Timmerman (California State University) (818) 677-7341

Publications
Marv Schaefer (ARCA Systems) (410) 309-1780

Publicity
Crispin Cowan (Oregon Graduate Institute) (503) 690-1265

Treasurer/Registration
Daniel Essin (University of Southern California) (323) 226-3188

ACM-SIGSAC Chair
Ravi Sandhu (George Mason University) (703) 993-1659

Steering Committee
Dixie Baker, Bob Blakley, Steven J. Greenwald, Hilary Hosmer,
Darrell Kienzle, Catherine Meadows, Cristina Serban, Mary Ellen Zurko

==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]