Subject: Observations from Authenticated Firewall Traversal (AFT) meeting

From: "Linn, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:51:23 -0400

CAT/Low-infrastructure fanciers:

I attended the Authenticated Firewall Traversal (AFT) meeting on Tuesday
afternoon of the IETF, and would like to relay back some information of
relevant interest to CAT low-infrastructure mechanism activities.  As
reported at the session, AFT's plans are to specify a GSS-API authentication
mode, with SPNEGO, as a MUST for implementation. They need to select a
mandatory-to-implement mechanism to be available under SPNEGO, and that
mechanism needs to be standards-track in order to be cited in AFT's
forthcoming standards-track document. There was distinct interest in
low-infrastructure GSS mechanisms; the speaker on the topic (Marc
VanHeyningen) was familiar with LIPKEY and its operational properties and
expressed particular interest in its use; he was unfamiliar with other
low-infrastructure proposals. Assuming that the groups' schedules proceed
compatibly, it appeared in discussion that LIPKEY may offer an applicable
and suitable solution.

--jl

==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]