Subject: RE: comments on krb-dns-locate draft

From: "Linn, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:26:33 -0500

Ken wrote, excerpting:

> This is obviously a complex subject, with a lot of differing 
> viewpoints.
> Maybe we could benefit a lot by a discussion at the next IETF?  Not
> that I'm suggesting _not_ discussing it on the mailing list, but
> I think that we'll be able to reach a consensus on the right thing
> to do if we could all sit down and interact in real time (I don't know
> about everyone else, but _I_ sure have been having a hard time keeping
> track of all of the threads here).
> 

This has certainly been a recently heated topic in mail traffic, and one
which doesn't yet appear to have converged, but I'd rather not recommend
that efforts towards convergence be deferred until in-person time in
Adelaide.  Once the current traffic burst quiets, would anyone active in
this area be willing to volunteer to draft a summary of the points at issue,
positions, assumptions (e.g., threat models, scope of acceptable reliance on
and trust in other components), and tradeoffs?  If different participants
are proceeding from different sets of assumptions and/or goals, an explicit
summary can sometimes be a useful vehicle in clarifying, balancing, and
resolving such divergences.

--jl
==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]

---

From: Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Dec 1999 13:23:00 -0500

"Linn, John" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Adelaide.

I'd rather not wait, either, especially since I'm not planning to be
there... :-)

>    Once the current traffic burst quiets, would anyone active in

I can try, but it'd be biased by my POV, I'm sure.  Still, if no one
else wants to do it, it'd be a starting point.
==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Trostle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:31:21 -0800

>else wants to do it, it'd be a starting point.

I can help as well. It seems that we reached consensus that there is a
security problem in the current situation.
Jonathan