Subject: update to lipkey i-d

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:55:18 -0800 (PST)

I've submitted draft-ietf-cat-lipkey-02.txt to the internet drafts editor.

If you'd like to see now what was submitted (including an i-d with change
bars), see:

	http://playground.sun.com/~mre/lipkey/

I've made the following significant changes:

- removed 3DES as the mandatory confidentiality algorithm. It's simply
	too slow, and I consider it encumbered, given that the ANSI
	standard for it isn't online and costs $80 a copy. 
- Instead, cast5CBC is used. RC4 would be better, AES best, but
	the former has encumberances, and the latter doesn't exist. cast5CBC
	has decent speed, is royalty free, and as far as I can tell, is
	considered secure. With respect to the last, it has had several
	years to be cryptanalyzed. At any rate, cast5CBC is a good interim
	algorithm until AES arrives.

- added HMAC-MD5 as the mandatory integrity MAC. This was instead of HMAC-SHA1.
	Again, speed is the issue, and while md5 has weaknesses, HMAC-MD5
	is apparently not affected. The i-d has references to
	the paper by Dobbertin attesting to this.

- moved the md5withRSA signature algorithm 
	from mandatory to recommended, due to encumbrances with the RSA
	algorithm.

- added the sha1withRSA signature algorithm as recommended.

- added DSA as the mandatory integrity signature algorithm. DSA is unencumbered.

- added sha1 as a mandatory one way function for deriving subkeys, because
	md5 has weaknesses.

Another data point is that I won't be able to prototype this i-d as I'd
planned, due to a job change within my employer, and I don't expect the
prototype to get finished by my replacement anytime soon. 

The other remaining task is to assign OIDs for SPKM-3, LIPKEY, and the
NULL-MAC algorithm. I've sent repeated requests to iana for these assignments,
to no avail. However, the i-d has plenty of whitespace in the right places to
let the RFC editor add the OID assignments.

Thus I think we should proceed with the process to propose lipkey as a
proposed standard, starting with a WG last call.

	-mre

==========================================================================
This message was posted through the Stanford campus mailing list
server.  If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
message body of "unsubscribe ietf-cat-wg" to [email-masked]

---

From: "Linn, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:20:52 -0500

> 	standard for it isn't online and costs $80 a copy. 

Point of information: FIPS PUB 46-3, dated 25 October 1999, includes a
description of 3DES, which corresponds to ANSI X9.52.  It's available for
download from http://csrc.nist.gov/fips/fips46-3.pdf.  This document, the
current FIPS specification for DES, states that single DES is now to be
permitted for legacy systems only and that triple DES is to be considered
the FIPS approved symmetric encryption algorithm of choice.

--jl