Subject: [Cbor] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 10:52:11 -0700

Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cbor-network-addresses/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I concur with Lars' comment.

I'm not sure about the "WRONG" labels.  I suggest including that in prose
instead; for instance, something like the following:

OLD:

   even though variations like:

   54([44, h'20010db81233'])  WRONG
   54([45, h'20010db8123f'])  WRONG

   would be parsed in the exact same way.

NEW:

   even though variations like:

   54([44, h'20010db81233'])
   54([45, h'20010db8123f'])

   would be parsed in the exact same way; they MUST be
   considered invalid.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 14:49:56 -0400

Text changed as proposed.

    > would be parsed in the exact same way; they MUST be

https://github.com/cbor-wg/cbor-network-address/commit/f56bbfb69bee017269545a331c90f4931d63cfd1

diff --git a/cbor-network-addresses.mkd b/cbor-network-addresses.mkd
index 2d826cc..5936349 100644
--- a/cbor-network-addresses.mkd
+++ b/cbor-network-addresses.mkd
@@ -203,11 +203,11 @@ MUST be encoded as:
 even though variations like:

 ~~~~
-54([44, h'20010db81233'])  WRONG
-54([45, h'20010db8123f'])  WRONG
+54([44, h'20010db81233'])
+54([45, h'20010db8123f'])
 ~~~~

-would be parsed in the exact same way.
+would be parsed in the exact same way; they MUST be considered invalid.

 The same considerations apply to IPv4 prefixes.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide