Subject: [Cbor] I-D Action: draft-ietf-cbor-packed-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 12:54:40 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Concise Binary Object Representation Maintenance and Extensions WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Packed CBOR
        Author          : Carsten Bormann
	Filename        : draft-ietf-cbor-packed-04.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2022-02-13

Abstract:
   The Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR, RFC 8949) is a data
   format whose design goals include the possibility of extremely small
   code size, fairly small message size, and extensibility without the
   need for version negotiation.

   CBOR does not provide any forms of data compression.  CBOR data
   items, in particular when generated from legacy data models often
   allow considerable gains in compactness when applying data
   compression.  While traditional data compression techniques such as
   DEFLATE (RFC 1951) can work well for CBOR encoded data items, their
   disadvantage is that the receiver needs to unpack the compressed form
   to make use of data.

   This specification describes Packed CBOR, a simple transformation of
   a CBOR data item into another CBOR data item that is almost as easy
   to consume as the original CBOR data item.  A separate decompression
   step is therefore often not required at the receiver.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cbor-packed/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-cbor-packed-04.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-cbor-packed-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 21:57:23 +0100

cbor-packed would have expired tomorrow, so I made a -04 with the various small edits that have accrued since -03.  As you know, we are collecting further implementation experience at this point, going forward once enough such experience is available.

Apart from the implementation work, further editorial work is needed in the introduction.  We also probably want to provide recipes (and examples?) for defining application-specific Table Setup tags.

Grüße, Carsten

> On 2022-02-13, at 21:54, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt