Subject: Re: LMP Related Questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:24:25 +0100

hi adrian - two things the first to complete the below is that the link
property correlation should be done before the link is brought up and may
be done at any time a link is up and not in the verification process - note
also there is an (implicit) assumption that if the link verification
process is not used an alternative mechanism is to be provided for
associating the interface id as part of the data link subobjects to be
correlated with the link summary message

the second is can someone explain why i don't see the original mail (blank)
? is the original sender using a special font and i have to wait that
someone replies to convert it ? not the first time it happens when i
received e-mail
from korea

---

> Hi, ccampers.
>
> I've some questions for the LMP implementation.
> First, I'd like to know the UDP port identifier of LMP. But, I can't find
> out the identifier.
> Is it OK as I define it randomly?

Not if you want to interoperate!

If you look at http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers you will see
that IANA has
allocated port 701.

lmp             701/tcp    Link Management Protocol (LMP)
lmp             701/udp    Link Management Protocol (LMP)
#                          RFC-ietf-ccamp-lmp-10.txt

> Second, I do not know the execution order between link connectivity
> verification and link property correlation.
> Which function should be first performed? In the draft of LMP, I'm very
> confusing.

First, note that link property correlation is a core (mandatory) function,
but link
connectivity verification is an optional procedure.
Second, the link connectivity verification procedure can be run at any time
to verify the
physical connectivity.

However, if you do run the link connectivity verification procedure at
start of day in
order to determine and exchange the Interface IDs, you would be wise to run
the procedure
before link property correlation because that way you will know which links
are being
bundled or described in the link property correlation phase.

> Who help me to solve these questions?

Perhaps someone with some running code would care to comment?

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: "Baktha Muralidharan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:21:48 -0500

As for the order [of the procedures], unless neighbor port ID info is
manually configured, link property correlation (link summry) cannot run
before link verification as neighbor port ID information won't be available.

[Interestingly however, link summary exchanges "link verification support"
bits in the header, which would suggest that link summary has to precede
link verification?]

I think that link verification could bring up link once neighbor ID mapping
info is successfully discovered.

Thanks,
/Baktha
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Boxborough, MA.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 8:24 AM
To: Adrian Farrel
Cc: ???; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LMP Related Questions

hi adrian - two things the first to complete the below is that the link
property correlation should be done before the link is brought up and may be
done at any time a link is up and not in the verification process - note
also there is an (implicit) assumption that if the link verification process
is not used an alternative mechanism is to be provided for associating the
interface id as part of the data link subobjects to be correlated with the
link summary message

the second is can someone explain why i don't see the original mail (blank)
? is the original sender using a special font and i have to wait that
someone replies to convert it ? not the first time it happens when i
received e-mail from korea

---

> First, I'd like to know the UDP port identifier of LMP. But, I can't 
> find out the identifier.

If you look at http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers you will see
that IANA has allocated port 701.

> Which function should be first performed? In the draft of LMP, I'm 
> very confusing.

First, note that link property correlation is a core (mandatory) function,
but link connectivity verification is an optional procedure.
Second, the link connectivity verification procedure can be run at any time
to verify the physical connectivity.

However, if you do run the link connectivity verification procedure at start
of day in order to determine and exchange the Interface IDs, you would be
wise to run the procedure before link property correlation because that way
you will know which links are being bundled or described in the link
property correlation phase.

Cheers,
Adrian