Subject: Chair review of draft-ietf-ccamp-tranport-lmp-00.txt

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:13:11 -0000

Hi,

In addition to the id-nits (previous) and ITU-T comments (to follow),
here are a few additional comments.

If you can address all of these and respin the draft, I will take to the
ADs.

The best process, BTW, is for each comment to give and ack or nack, with
a hint as to how you have fixed it or a reason why it is not an issue.

Cheers,
Adrian

====

Substantive

Section 1. It seems to me that this section makes use of a bunch of
terms that are not in common use in the IETF and which are not defined
in this section. For example:
- Access Group
- North input port of an Adaptation function
- Trail Termination source/sink function
You might also want to split the definition of CP out from CTP

Section 4.2
   where:
   - Data Link ID: <Local Interface ID; Remote Interface ID>
   - TE Link ID: <Local Link ID; Remote Link ID>
Not clear what mapping is implied here. Can you spell it out please.

Section 4.2.1
   A typical TE link between GMPLS controlled optical nodes would
   consist of a bundled (TE link) which itself consists
   of a mix of point-to-point links and FAs [BUNDLE] . A TE link is
   identified by the tuple: (Bundled link Identifier(32 bit number),
   Component link Identifier(32 bit number) and generalized label(media
   specific)).
I don't get this at all. Surely this is the identification of a resource
(as described in [GMPLS-RTG] or [BUNDLE])?

Section 4.3
   LMP control channel management is used to establish and maintain
   control channel connectivity between LMP adjacent nodes. In GMPLS,
   the control channels between two adjacent nodes are not required to
   use the same physical medium as the TE links between those nodes.
   The control channels that are used to exchange the GMPLS control-
   plane information exist independently of the TE links they manage
   (i.e., control channels may be in-band or out-of-band, provided the
   associated control points terminate the LMP packets). The Link
   Management Protocol [LMP] was designed to manage TE links,
   independently of the physical medium capabilities of the data links.
   This is done using a Config message exchange followed by a
   lightweight keep-alive message exchange.
This is a non sequita! This last sentence applies to control channel
maintenance. It is true, but has nothing to do with the previous
sentence.

Nits

Spurious blank line between Deborah and AT&T

Can you change the title from "A Transport Network View of LMP" to "A
Transport Network View of the Link Management Protocol".

If you can fit the whole Abstract on the first page, this would be nice.

Section 1. Characteristic Information
Spurious period (".") on line 4

Section 1.
Would it be useful to put the terminology in a logical order or
alphabetical order?

Section 1. Connection Termination Point
s/(CP) [M.3100] The/(CP) [M.3100]. The/

Section 2.
s/G.8080 Amendment 1 [G.8080] defines/ITU-T Recommendation G.8080
Amendment 1 [G.8080] defines/

Section 3.1.
s/Termination and Adaptation performer [TAP]/Termination and Adaptation
performer (TAP)/

Section 3.1.
s/Figure 3: Discover in the Control/Figure 3: Discovery in the Control/

Section 4.1
s/elements of LMP are included in this set of procedures./elements of
LMP is included in this set of procedures./

Section 4.2
s/"architecture for optical/ transport networks"/"architecture for
optical/transport networks"/

Section 4.2.1
<   In the table TE link is equated the concept of SNP, SNP LC, SNPP and
<  SNPP link. The definition of the TE link is broad in scope and is
<   useful repeating here. The original definition appears in [GMPLS-
<   RTG]:
>   In the table, TE link is equated with the concepts of SNP, SNP LC,
SNPP and
>   SNPP link. The definition of TE link is broad in scope and it is
>   useful to repeat it here. The original definition appears in [GMPLS-
>   RTG]:

Section 4.2.1
s/it is probably worth pointing some/it is probably worth pointing out
some/

Section 4.2.1
s/A For example,/For Example/

Section 4.2.1
s/booking or other form of statistical/booking or other forms of
statistical/

Section 4.2.1
s/TE links may represent large number/TE links may represent large
numbers/

Section 4.2.1
s/Interface switching capability/Interface Switching Capability/

Section 4.2.1 (sic)
s/Interface Switching capability/Interface Switching Capability/

Section 4.2.1 (really!)
s/interface switching capability/Interface Switching Capability/

Section 4.2.1
s/Packet switch Capable(PSC)/Packet Switch Capable (PSC)/

Section 4.2.1
s/and FAs [BUNDLE] ./and FAs [BUNDLE]./

Section 4.3
s/Verification.. Key/Verification. Key/

Section 4.3
s/use of a Discovery Agent could be located/use of a Discovery Agent
that could be located/

Section 4.4
   LMP exists to support GMPLS TE link discovery. In section 5.2.1 we
Broken reference

Section 4.4
s/procedure for managing GMPLS TEs/procedure for managing GMPLS TE
links/

Section 5.
s/Since this draft is purely descriptive/Since this document is purely
descriptive/

Section 7.2
Some formating problems

Section 7.2
Some references are out of date now
- GMPLS-Arch now RFC3495
- bundle now at rev05