Subject: Re: no more milestones?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:49:05 +0200

hi adrian,

much thanks for your reply - just to clarify, in the below when you state:

"If, on the other hand, we are not going to add this stuff to the charter,
it would be very important for us to be clear about this so that the people
working in these areas know that they must take their work to another WG or
BOF."

when you state "... to another WG" do you mean an existing WG, and in such
a case do you have any specific WG in mind ? any clarification much
appreciated

thanks,
- dimitri.

---

Hi Dimitri,

> > I would like to see:
> > - a refinement of the charter to focus the next work items
> > - a year's worth of milestones to ensure we stay focused.
> >
> > On the other hand, we should aim to close down CCAMP and move the work
to
> > other or new working groups.
>
> coupling both sentences does it mean in your view
>
> 1) define several short-term milestones for refining topics that have
been
> already initiated and requires further well scoped attention
>
> 2) (brand) new topics should target new working groups - as already
> initiated with L1VPN for inst. - or existing working groups
>
> nevertheless, i do not see why this automatically means CCAMP can not
> remain the focal point concerning *base* GMPLS signaling and routing
> protocols

To answer your question: yes, I would like to see both. We need some
short-term milestones to guide and refine our work on existing topics. For
example, to complete the inter-domain work, possibly including issues of
protection and restoration.

But there are also some topics that are broadly covered by the CCAMP
scope, where we would benefit greatly by having a specific description on
the charter, and detailed milestones. I am thinking about L2SC, MRN,
MPLS/GMPLS interworking as discussed on the mailing list last November.
While we could sort of take on these things under the vague scope of the
current charter, I would prefer for us to be open, clear and focused.

And this covers your last point. I, too, don't see why CCAMP should not
remain the focal point for GMPLS signaling and routing protocols. However,
to do so in an efficient and proper manner, we should add the appropriate
milestones to the charter. If, on the other hand, we are not going to add
this stuff to the charter, it would be very important for us to be clear
about this so that the people working in these areas know that they must
take their work to another WG or BOF.

Thanks,
Adrian

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:15:50 +0100

Hi Dimitri,

> a case do you have any specific WG in mind ? any clarification much

I have nothing specific in mind. Just to note that that which is not CCAMP
is something else.

A

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:58:21 +0900

Hi,

I agree that base signalling and routing GMPLS protocols need to be
worked out, and at the same time I would like to see GMPLS applications
in operational networks.

I remember about the vote on specific items (to-be-rechartered items) which
included basic signalling and routing aspects as well as some extended 
applications.
At that time, I felt we had a long and good discussion already about what 
would be
on the revised charter and it was very close to decide.

Now, though (because?) I don't know what process is done and further needed
beyond what we already went through and saw, I appreciate if we can see new 
milestones
reflecting the vote and recent discussions so that we can determine in Paris
hopefully without, but with some more discussion if needed.

Thanks.

Ichiro Inoue

 >  >> On the other hand, we should aim to close down CCAMP and move the
 >  >> work to
 >  > 1) define several short-term milestones for refining topics that
 >  > have been

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:49:07 +0100

Hi Ichiro,

In the agenda (now on-line at http://www.olddog.co.uk/63/ccamp.htm) you'll
see that we have set aside just over 30 minutes to discuss the work plan
for CCAMP.

The chairs will prepare some material based on the discussions last
November and the new work that has come forward since then. We will post
this material in advance of the meeting to give people a chance to think
and talk about it.

Hopefully, in the meeting or before, we can discover the process we should
follow and go on to clarify what the working group should be working on
for the next 12 months or so.

Thanks,
Adrian

> would be on the revised charter and it was very close to decide.
>
> milestones reflecting the vote and recent discussions so that we can
determine in
> Paris hopefully without, but with some more discussion if needed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ichiro Inoue
>
>  >  >> I would like to see: