Subject: RE: Ethernet Control Plane [Was: Re: Frameformat in a l2cs gmpls rnvironment.]

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:15:18 +0100

> > > IP is cl-ps networking techology period....and its
> > > jolly important, but PLEASE don't try and feed me any of this 'IP
> > > control plane' nonsense.
> 
> JD:  Over the years I have enjoyed Neil's rants immensely,
> but I have to say that this one is a classic.

NH=> Thanks John for the kind words....its good to know you've had at
least something to smile about ;-)

Seriously though, see my updated response to Adrian.  But if you are
still struggling to grasp what I mean by the above (out of context
quote) try this:

A single cl-ps IP network carrying traffic and everything else (eg
public Internet) is very different animal to a co-cs network system
where the traffic data-plane network and control/management data-planes
network are logically disjoint, ie the role of IP in the latter is
importantly different to the role of IP in the former...and let's hope
never the 2 shall meet.

regards, neil

---

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:58:27 +0200

Neil

Is there an ITU-T Recommendation that gives an architectural definition of what
it means by control plane, data plane, management plane, user plane, traffic
dataplane, control data plane etc etc?

I know what I mean when I use the terms but am not sure I always know what
others mean.

Tom Petch
----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, July 23, 2005 2:15 PM
Subject: RE: Ethernet Control Plane [Was: Re: Frameformat in a l2cs gmpls
rnvironment.]

regards, neil