Subject: RFC 4257 on Framework for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS)-based Control of Synchronous Digital Hierarchy/Synchronous Optical Networking (SDH/SONET) Networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:08:19 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4257

        Title:      Framework for Generalized Multi-Protocol Label
                    Switching (GMPLS)-based Control of Synchronous
                    Digital Hierarchy/Synchronous Optical Networking
                    (SDH/SONET) Networks
        Author(s):  G. Bernstein, E. Mannie, V. Sharma, E. Gray
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      35
        Characters: 86974
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-sdhsonet-control-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4257.txt

Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) is a suite of
protocol extensions to MPLS to make it generally applicable, to
include, for example, control of non packet-based switching, and
particularly, optical switching.  One consideration is to use GMPLS
protocols to upgrade the control plane of optical transport networks.
This document illustrates this process by describing those extensions
to GMPLS protocols that are aimed at controlling Synchronous Digital
Hierarchy (SDH) or Synchronous Optical Networking (SONET) networks.
SDH/SONET networks make good examples of this process for a variety of
reasons.  This document highlights extensions to GMPLS-related routing
protocols to disseminate information needed in transport path
computation and network operations, together with (G)MPLS protocol
extensions required for the provisioning of transport circuits.  New
capabilities that an GMPLS control plane would bring to SDH/SONET
networks, such as new restoration methods and multi-layer circuit
establishment, are also discussed.

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane
Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.