Subject: RE: Moving forward with VCAT/LCAS...

From: Alex Conta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:14:26 -0500

Supporting the two requirements makes sense.

A VCG member (server) has some basic functionality that is similar to
non-VCG members, and the mechanisms to setup that functionality is
usually similar/same (for instance, setting up the DS3 functionality of
the DS3 members of a VCG is similar to setting up non-VCG DS3s.) 

Transforming a non-VCG member into a VCG member, and vice-versa, a VCG
member into a non-VCG member, is just a matter of additional setup - VCG
setup (through management, control plane, policy driver, etc...)

An implication of the support of these two requirements seems to be a
choice of behavior of the implementation of the VCG tear down functions.

1. provide the function of terminating all functions and tearing down
all VCG members (servers) at the time of tearing down their VCG
(client).

2. provide the function of terminating only the "VCG member" functions,
transforming VCG members into non-VCG members, and thus have the non-VCG
functionality of the server layer entities survive the tear down of the
VCG (client).

An implementation may have a choice of "default behavior", which could
be mentioned in the draft. 

Regards,
Alex Conta