Subject: RFC 5150 on Label Switched Path Stitching with Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching Traffic Engineering (GMPLS TE)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:31:42 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5150

        Title:      Label Switched Path Stitching with 
                    Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching Traffic
                    Engineering (GMPLS TE) 
        Author:     A. Ayyangar, K. Kompella,
                    JP. Vasseur, A. Farrel
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       February 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      19
        Characters: 47099
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-stitching-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5150.txt

In certain scenarios, there may be a need to combine several
Generalized Multiprotocol Label Switching (GMPLS) Label Switched
Paths (LSPs) such that a single end-to-end (e2e) LSP is realized and
all traffic from one constituent LSP is switched onto the next LSP.
We will refer to this as "LSP stitching", the key requirement being
that a constituent LSP not be allocated to more than one e2e LSP.
The constituent LSPs will be referred to as "LSP segments" (S-LSPs).

This document describes extensions to the existing GMPLS signaling
protocol (Resource Reservation Protocol-Traffic Engineering
(RSVP-TE)) to establish e2e LSPs created from S-LSPs, and
describes how the LSPs can be managed using the GMPLS signaling and
routing protocols.

It may be possible to configure a GMPLS node to switch the traffic
from an LSP for which it is the egress, to another LSP for which it is
the ingress, without requiring any signaling or routing extensions
whatsoever and such that the operation is completely transparent to
other nodes.  This will also result in LSP stitching in the data
plane.  However, this document does not cover this scenario of LSP
stitching.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...