Subject: ASON Routing

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:50:10 -0000

Hi,

You may have noticed the liaison we received from the ITU-T at the end of 
February on ASON routing.

This was a detailed review of RFC 4258 and RFC 4652 against the latest 
requirements documented in ITU-T Recommendations and arose in response to 
our request for exactly such a review after we heard that Study Group 15 was 
not happy with our analysis.

You can see the liaison at https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/424/ and the 
output of the review at 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file531.pdf

We held an ad hoc meeting in Philadelphia with many of the concerned parties 
(thanks to the ITU folk who travelled specially, and to the IETF GMPLS and 
routing experts who gave up their evening) to discuss the issues raised, to 
try to understand and scope the differences, and to agree the way forward.

We decided that the best approach will be to revise RFC 4258 as a bis, and 
to then consider whether any further work is needed to RFC 4652. At the same 
time, we will freeze work on draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-ason-routing-ospf-04.txt 
until we know whether it also needs to be modified - we expect that by the 
time of our next meeting (July 2008) we will know whether modifications are 
required.

The new work will lead to draft-ietf-ccamp-rfc4258-bis-00.txt. But may get 
there through multiple revisions of an individual submission. The draft may 
reuse substantial text from RFC 4258, but it was agreed that every 
requirement in the document will show full traceability back to the ITU-T 
recommendations.

At the moment, I am looking to put together a "compact" team of editors for 
this work. People in the team must be prepared to make significant textual 
contributions. Please contact me if you wish to be in this team (please also 
assume that I have not heard from you unless you receive a response from 
me).

Once the team is in place, we will also set up an IETF mailing list for open 
community discussions of the work.

When the work is complete it will we discussed and last called on the CCAMP 
mailing list, and will be liaised to the ITU-T as appropriate.

We will also liaise this information to the ITU-T to solicit contributors 
from there.

Thanks,
Adrian