Subject: Document Action: 'Requirements for GMPLS-Based Multi-Region and Multi-Layer Networks (MRN/MLN)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:16:25 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Requirements for GMPLS-Based Multi-Region and Multi-Layer Networks 
   (MRN/MLN) '
   <draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-reqs-11.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Common Control and Measurement Plane 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and David Ward.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-mln-reqs-11.txt

Technical Summary

    Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) extends MPLS to handle multiple switching 
    technologies: packet switching, layer-2 switching, TDM switching, 
    wavelength switching, and fiber switching (see [RFC3945]). The 
    Interface Switching Capability (ISC) concept is introduced to
    describe these diverse switching technologies.

    In GMPLS, a switching technology domain defines a region, and a 
    network of multiple switching types is referred to in this document 
    as a Multi-Region Network (MRN). When referring in general to a 
    layered network, which may consist of either a single or multiple 
    regions, this document uses the term, Multi-Layer Network (MLN). 
    This document defines a framework for GMPLS based multi-region / 
    multi-layer networks and lists a set of functional requirements. 

Working Group Summary

   No controversy reported. Support for multi-region and multi-layer
   networks is natural given the GMPLS capabilities that CCAMP has
   been working on for some time.  

Document Quality

   Since this document defines a framework and requirements only, it
   is not something that would be implemented directly. It has been 
   reviewed broadly both within the CCAMP working group and ITU-T 
   (see a bit more detail in the PROTO writeup by Adrian Farrel). 

Personnel

   Adrian Farrel is the PROTO shepherd. Ross Callon is the  
   Responsible Area Director?  There are no IANA requirements 
   for this document.