Subject: Joint ITU-IETF WSON Meeting - March 20

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:39:00 -0500

Hi,

As some of you may still be filtering your holiday mail, you may have missed this mail. We need to provide a list of IETF's attendees asap. If you are planning to attend the joint meeting on March 20 (Friday) in Sunnyvale CA, please respond to Adrian and me.

Thanks,
Deborah and Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Adrian Farrel
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Liaison received from ITU-T SG15 Q6 - Lambda Switch Capable Equipment

Hi,

We have received the following liaison statement from Question 6 of Study 
Group 15 of the ITU-T.
The liaison is for Information and so does not require any response from us, 
but if anyone has questions we can reply.

Please note that Question 6 is inviting us to meet with them to discuss 
optical parameters at a joint meeting in March 2009. The current provisional 
plan is to hold the Q6 meeting on the West Coast in the week before the IETF 
(i.e., 16-20 March) inviting the CCAMP people to attend on the Thursday. 
Note that this is still at an early stage of planning - we will update you 
as firmer plans are made.

At this stage, we understand that space may be limited and we will need to 
restrict CCAMP attendance to only those heavily involved in optical 
impairments work, and perhaps to only one or two people per company. In 
order to make this go more smoothly, please email Deborah and me if you are 
considering attending.

You may also want to look closely at Q6's proposed encoding of wavelength 
I-Ds in the Annexe to the Liaison to see how it differs from the CCAMP 
proposal and whether there is any scope for convergence.

As usual, you can get to all communications to and from CCAMP via 
www.olddog.co.uk/ccamp.htm

Adrian

===

Title: LS19 - Lambda Switch Capable Equipment
Submission Date: 2008-12-25
URL of the IETF Web page: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/liaison_detail.cgi?detail_id=495

From: Greg Jones(ITU-T SG 15) <[email-masked]>
To: IETF CCAMP WG([email-masked],[email-masked])
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
   [email-masked], [email-masked]
Reponse Contact: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Technical Contact: [email-masked]
Purpose: For information
 Body:

Q.6/15 would like to thank IETF’s CCAMP Working Group for having provided a 
communication on Lambda Switch Capable Equipment to Q.6/15 last summer.

Q.6/15 would like to inform the IETF that Q.6/15 has agreed to add an 
encoding scheme for optical parameter values to a future revision of ITU-T 
Recommendation G.697. Q.6/15 intends to consent a revision of Recommendation 
G.697 during the SG15 Plenary Meeting, 28 September – 9 October 2009. An 
interim meeting of Q.6/15 is expected to be held in the March 2009 timeframe 
with the intent to progress the work on the revision of Recommendation 
G.697, in addition to many other topics currently under discussion within 
Q.6/15.

Furthermore Q.6/15 would like to draw the attention of IETF’s CCAMP Working 
Group on Lambda Switch Capable Equipment to ITU-T Recommendation G.680, 
entitled “Physical transfer functions of optical network elements”. The 
summary from the in-force version of this Recommendation is included below:

   ITU-T Recommendation G.680 defines a "degradation function" of optical
   network elements (ONEs) such as photonic cross-connects (PXCs),
   optical add-drop multiplexers (OADMs), etc. making up an optical
   network. This is done in terms of a list of parameters which characterize
   physical impairments such as optical noise, chromatic dispersion, etc., 
and
   is intended to be independent from the network architecture that the
   devices are deployed in. For each kind of ONE considered in this
   Recommendation, the general functional description and the reference
   diagram is provided. Principles for calculating the effect of cascading 
multiple
   ONEs on the degradation of the optical signal quality are given and 
example
   transfer parameter values for OADMs and PXCs are also provided.

   This version of the Recommendation covers the situation where the optical
   path between two consecutive electrical regenerators is composed of dense
   wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) line segments from a single
   vendor and OADMs and PXCs from other vendors.

Also, included in the scope section of G.680 is:

   A future revision of the Recommendation is expected to cover the 
reference
   situation:

   Situation 2 – The optical path between two consecutive 3R regenerators is
   composed of DWDM line segments from different vendors and OADMs and
   PXCs from different vendors as shown in Figure 1-2.

   This will enable the degradation of the signal quality due to the optical 
path for
   an arbitrary route through an all-optical network (or sub-network) 
consisting of
   optical network elements including DWDM line segments to be assessed
   thereby enabling routing decisions in an all-optical network (or 
sub-network) to
   be made.

Q.6/15 would like to invite IETF’s CCAMP Working Group on Lambda Switch 
Capable Equipment to consider a joint meeting with Q.6/15 during the March 
2009 timeframe, in conjunction with its interim meeting, with the intent to 
share each others work related to monitoring of optical parameters in 
optical transmission equipment and other topics that are of common interest 
in this area.

A provision outline of what Q.6/15 intends to incorporate into revised 
Recommendation G.697 with respect to the encoding scheme for optical 
parameters is indicated in Annex 1 to this Liaison Statement.

- - - - - - - - -

Annex 1

Encoding of monitoring parameters

[Text should be added to underline that this is only an encoding definition 
and it doesn’t imply that the measurements must be made or what the 
parameters listed are used for]

Wavelength ID (32 bits):

This field contains the Wavelength label and is composed of 5 sub-fields:

Grid (3 bits): The value for grid is set to 1 for the ITU-T DWDM Grid as 
defined in G.694.1, set to 2 for the ITU-T CWDM Grid as defined in G.694.2 
and the values 3 to 7 are for future use.

Channel Spacing (4 bits):
  DWDM channel spacing
    Channel spacing (GHz)    Value
    12.5                     1
    25                       2
    50                       3
    100                      4
    Future use               0, 5 to 15

  CWDM channel spacing
    Channel spacing (nm)     Value
    20                       1
    Future use               0, 2 to 15

S (1 bit): Sign for the value n, set to 1 for (-) and 0 for (+)

n (16 bits): The value used to compute the frequency as shown below:

When the grid is “1”, Frequency (THz) = 193.1 + n * channel spacing (THz)
When the grid is “2”, Wavelength (nm) = 1470 + n * channel spacing (nm)

(8 bits): for future use.

Parameter ID source (x bits):
This field defines the source of the parameter ID lookup table. The value 1 
is G.697

Parameter ID (8 bits): When the parameter ID source is equal to 1, the 
following lookup table applies:

  Value  Parameter      Unit
  1      Total power    dBm
  2      Channel power  dBm
  3      etc.
  4
  5
  etc.

[Others values and parameters to be added]

Value of parameters (32 bits):
[How to encode the parameter values into the 32 bit number, to be inserted 
here, one proposal is:
Monitoring parameter value (IEEE 754 standard). The  IEEE 754 mantissa, an 
integer with values from 2^n_mant to 2*2^n_mant-1, where n_mant is the 
number of bits available for the mantissa, is termed a normalized number and 
allows for integer embedding suitable for all the sensor ranges involved in 
G.697 parameters. This embedding is error prone only for very small 
numbers. ]